BootsnAll Travel Network



Bangalore – Decoration

Something that I’ve really noticed since I’ve been here is how interested the brothers (so I’m making the generalisation to mean Indian men – sweeping generalisations are my speciality!), are really interested and knowledgeable about what I wear (or rather, should be wearing!), and have a particular appreciation for beautiful things. 

Because I’m going to be living out of a backpack for so long, I had to be really strict with myself about the clothes I brought with me.  So no Jimmy Choos or my beloved Gap jeans, just 2 pairs of shorts (one of which I can’t wear in India because they’re too short – even the knee-length ones get stared at) and 2 pairs of trousers, a couple of shirts, vests, and t-shirts.  And I’m sticking to fairly neutral colours so everything matches everything else – lots of greens, browns, white, and so on.

This, apparently, doesn’t cut the mustard here.  Indian women, it’s true, usually leave the house beautifully dressed – you see saris in every colour of the rainbow, from bright jewel colours to pale pastels, and they do love their jewellery.  Ankle chains that jangle when they walk, necklaces, bangles, earrings… anything that can be gilded, they gild.  I’d joined in to a certain extent by having a henna tattoo on my right palm and my right ankle when I was in Udaipur, and I’d also bought four beautiful bright pink shimmering bangles there.  The brothers appreciated these, although there was some discussion about whether pink was the right colour for me – some felt that, as a white person, I should be wearing black as this shows up more.  I’m soon learning that 10 Indians = 12 opinions!  My friend Ravi then started the tradition of giving me a flower for my hair – now, every day, a different brother picks one for me (again, after some discussion and contemplation about the right type and colour of flower to go with what I’m wearing).  Jude upped the ante as well by making me a long string of Jasmine flowers, joined together by thread, and pinned in the middle so it sat the length of my hair.  I kept getting the delicious smell of Jasmine all day long. 

The sisters who I have been helping told me they wanted me to wear a sari, but when I told them I’d already bought one in Jaipur and sent it home, they decided I should get a salwar kameez instead – this is the name for the long tunic and trousers worn by many Indian women.  So we had a shopping expedition.  First they bought me some earrings (clip-ons, I’m not brave enough to put holes in my ears – although, again, Jose offered to do it for me using a red-hot poker – I think he was joking), and a pack of stick-on bindis.  It’s strange, when I’ve seen Western women wearing these in the past I thought somehow it would be offensive to Indian culture – another sweeping generalisation on my part – but I have now learned that it is seen as a lovely sign of beauty, and basically, the more decoration, the better!

Next we went to the salwar kameez shop, where there was the regulation half-hour discussion about colour, size, fabric, shape, and so-on.  I ended up with the most beautiful dusky pink tunic, quite long – below my knees – with cream trousers.  The trousers are a bit odd to wear, I admit (I think they need heels to look really great), but the tunic is something I can wear again and again – with jeans when I get home, and until then with the trousers or (when I’m in a different country) with shorts underneath.

When I wore it the next day, the reactions were amazing – lots of open mouths, smiles, and comments that it looked beautiful.  Every person noticed what I was wearing, which I think might not have happened in any other country.  Since then, I have been given more bindis and hair clips as gifts and, funnily enough, the bindi that got the most compliments was the black one.  Maybe I’m more fair skinned than I realised!

There has also been plenty of interest in my henna tattoos.  Even strangers have come up to me and asked me about them.  When they started to fade, it was decided on my behalf that I should have some more done.  Apparently, when boys are younger here, they help their sisters with these tattoos, and so, naturally, there was much expertise and another group discussion!

Yesudas was the ring-leader, and he marched me over to the shop and bought some henna, and explained the whole process.  He then recruited Vipin, who is the most wonderfully talented artist, to be the tattooist.  A book off tattoo drawings was produced, and Jude picked the one that I now have on the back of my left hand – lots of swirls and flowers.  Vipin made his own design for the palm of my right hand.  So, while I sat and played one-handed cards with Jude, Vipin painted the henna onto my hands.  It looks really wonderful.  I’m glad I started listening to the experts. 



Tags: ,

11 responses to “Bangalore – Decoration”

  1. Elephant Apple (Snr) says:

    Pictures! We want pictures! I’m a visual person and need pictures of you in your indian dress, your tat’s and the people you so vividly describe.

    It sounds Amazing. I need a week where you are – could I book one in Thomas Cook?

    God Bless,

    Elephant Apple.xxx

  2. Jon Power says:

    did michael never help you with your tattoos when growing up?- I know that it was certainly one of my roles as a younger sibling. It sounds like you are working like a dog- I imagine carrying the weight of the flowers in your hair, hours of hardcore card sharking and being generally adored makes you want to dash back to Pilkingtons?!? Enjoy!! jonx

  3. angela says:

    Hello Suze, all my mind is conjuring up lovely colourful clothes. You have to admit,
    Indian ladies have a wonderful sense of colour.
    In the Hardshaw Centre in St Helens there is
    a stall which i think is Chinese, and i also think the Chinese are the same with colour
    and also Bangles, Beads and Earrings.I am always hard pressed to choose as the items are beautiful. I am looking forward to some more photos, so get clicking, also keep clicking on the Blog. lots of love Angela xxx

  4. Michael says:

    Hi Suze,

    I’ve duly noted that I’ve been neglecting my duties as a younger brother and on your return I intend to make amends. Starting tonight I’m going to practice my skills. I’m not sure I’ll be able to get henna, but I’m sure a permanent marker will suffice. I’m sure Caroline will be a willing volunteer, although perhaps she’d prefer the Newcastle United badge on her arm rather than the Everton crest I’ve got planned for you…

    Looking forward to seeing some more photo’s soon.

    Love,
    Michael

  5. Sarah says:

    You really do have a fabulous way with words. Matt has just read the latest update to me while I sit here slicing paper for the order of service booklets and my mind is filled with the most wonderful pictures.

    My only worry is that you sound far too happy and you might never come back. I always knew you’d cause a sensation with all those boys. Try not to distract them too much! Missing you lots, Sarah xx

  6. Paul says:

    Hi Suze,

    Tattoo’s? Piercings? What type of Brothers are they – from the hood, getting down with the kids?

    I noted your comments with regard to the length of short and, assuming the same rules apply to male dress, will remember not to pack my circa ’83 velour hotpants if I ever visit these parts.

    Take care

    Paul x

  7. C L says:

    Hi Suze, I suppose I’m glad that Paul and Andy both neglected their younger brother duties else I would have had Liverpool FC crest on one arm and Everton FC on the other!! The henna tattoo reminds me of when Gabi had a cat painted on her arm in Spain and of course once the tattoo faded she had a white cat shape where the sun hadn’t touched!! And yes we are still counting down with Gabi until Suzie is home. I am sat here writing this as the rain is pouring down- great British weather hey! I really can’t think of anything that if I was lucky enough to be in your position I would be missing ( Except family and friends of course!!) Take care, keep safe and happy Lots of love CL & G x x

  8. C L says:

    Hi Suzie: So glad to hear that it was just a henna tatoo!! you sound so happy and content where you are and it’s nice that you have been able to relax for a while. Wonder how your mum and Irene are getting on – the mind boggles!!Can’t believe its Easter Sunday next week – we’ll certainly miss you and all your Easter traditions!! Looking forward to some photos being posted.
    Take good care – All my love – God Bless
    Auntie Rosemary x

  9. Auntie Rosemary says:

    Sorry Suzie: posted that one under Claire-Louise’s name in error!! – love Auntie Rosemary x

  10. Mike Rolston says:

    Hi Suze

    Just testing the decyphering.

    Mike

  11. Mike Rolston says:

    Hi Suze

    Finally got through (most peculiar that coding ssytem).
    i am enjoying reading your travelogue which brings back many memories of the month I spent in India back in 1974 travelling back form Oz.
    Istarted in Calcutta and went up to Darjeeling across into Nepal, down into India again and across to Agra, Delhi and finally Srinigar, from where I left to go onto Pakistan
    My main type of accomodation was staying in Sikh temples where you could stay for 3 days free of charge and got 2 meals a day.
    We weren’t allowed to shave and had to cover our heads during meal times )I used to use a towel).
    I travelled everywhere by trin, which at the time, were unbelievable.
    Howver, third class reserved at least guaranteed a bit of space instead of the cattle wagons for those who booked 3rd class unreserved.
    I used to dress in Indian clothes (white trousers and white top and comments from some Sikhs were incredible as they expected us to be travelling in suits and bowler hats because we came from UK (honest).
    Enjoy your Indian experince because you will never forget as it is such a unique place.

    Love

    Mike & Sheila