BootsnAll Travel Network



Bangalore – Characters

Each and every one of the brothers and fathers here in Bangalore is an absolute joy to be with.  Here is an introduction to just a few of them – I just wish I had time to tell you about all of them:

Ravi is 22, and comes from the neighbouring state of Tamil Nadu.  He’s a real giggler, and always has a huge smile on his face (except when he talks in his sleep and wakes up the whole community!).  He’s really conscientious, and is always coming to me for extra English practice.  Also, he was the first one to start off the now-tradition of a different brother giving me a flower for my hair every day.  They’re all disappointed that I cut my hair before I came away – in India, long hair is a sign of beauty.  I told them they’d have to make do with my face instead, and tried not to notice that they looked disappointed!

Jose is one of the older brothers here, and is currently nursing a broken arm.  He’s got the best imagination I’ve ever come across, and tells the most wonderful tall stories.  For the first five minutes I believed him, until the moment when he told me that his broken arm wasn’t from a fall, but was in fact from Anaconda flu, a new deadly disease that’s doing the rounds.  Other stories are that Scotland and Wales were originally part of India, but drifted across the sea to join with England.  I’ve told him that he’s like the boy who cried wolf, and I can never believe anything he tells me ever again!

Soosai is a philosopher, and always has a pearl of wisdom for me and for every situation.  He’s what you’d call a critical friend!  He sits down, opens his eyes wide and quotes Nitsche or Kant or Sartre, and makes you think a bit too much about your life.  He’s also ridiculously handsome, and has one of those chiselled faces you normally see in magazines or strutting down catwalks.  Because our names are similar, there have been a couple of comic mix-ups… one of the nuns called and told Father Xavier that she had promised to take Soosai to the convent (she meant me).  Father was puzzled as to when, or indeed why, Soosai had asked such a thing.

Jude is my good friend, my pal, and is just too cool for school.  You ask him if he’s had a good day, and he gives a great Gallic shrug, and says “Of course”.  I asked him how a sweet we had was made and he laughed and said “I don’t cook, I just eat”.  He’s also my sparring partner at cards… every night you can find us in the classroom, playing rummy or, if we’re joined by other people, Chase the Ace and Cheat (two games I taught them, thankyewverrymuch).  In his own quiet, cool way (he really should wear shades all the time, should Jude), he’s always there to make me smile and check I’m ok by giving an almost imperceptible nod.

Samuel is ace.  In fact they’re all ace.  Samuel and I now have a running joke, after he accidentally (he says) called me ‘aunty’ (we’re virtually the same age).  He has a heart of gold, and spent two of his precious free hours running around town with me, trying to sort my phone and my money out, and making sure I wasn’t ripped off.  He’s a bit of a hero as well, but more of that to come in another blog…

That’s the first instalment, hopefully by the time I leave I’ll get round all of them.  Photos to follow soon!



Tags: ,

0 responses to “Bangalore – Characters”

  1. Dusty says:

    Hi, Glad you like my new adopted home town – orginal town being Mumbai. Hahahaha, Finance Minister’s dont travel by train – they fly – business class. I wonder who that guy on the train was. At least, you had a nice journey, in VIP company. I am hitting the road next week, will follow your blog on my return

  2. Angela-E- says:

    Hi Suzanne!

    Glad to see you are back with us… was feeling a bit worried last weekend when you seemed to have disappeared! Luckily C.L. put my mind at rest and told me you were away(how dare they not provide internet access on those luxury trains!!!)

    It sounds like you are being well looked after in Bangalore and so many lovely people to meet.
    Good to hear yor English skills are being put to good use too!

    Take care
    Angela xxx

  3. Sebastian says:

    Who made you the ministers travel expert Miss Smarty Pants ? Me and Shri are constantly on the rails. Flying’s for the birds.

  4. Michael says:

    Hi Suze,

    Your new friends certainly sound like a good bunch and I’m sure you’re having a great time with them. Have you given your new adopted Indian family a similar brief on all of us, with character breakdowns and our favourite card games? If so I’m sure you will have already made them aware I’m your tall, handsome, witty, intelligent and modest brother but you may not be aware my current favourite card game is Texas Hold ‘Em poker.

    Love you lots,
    Michael

  5. Paul says:

    Hi Suze,

    A bit of an after thought but did the Minister have a cat and if so what was it called and how would you describe it?!?!? 😉

    Bangalore sounds a very welcoming place so I’m sure you’ll enjoy the remainder of your stay there.

    Love,

    Paul x

  6. Claire Louise says:

    Hi Suze, great to read yet another blog!! Gabi is still driving me mad on “how much longer is Suzie away”, we’ve tonight just narrowed it down to hopefully 6 months from 1st January 2006!! Me and Emma been shopping today and were chatting about your travels, I said that garments you were buying along the way you were sending home rather than carrying them around with you- we wondered whether we should raid the packages for a decent piece of fashion clothing-the fashion at the moment is crazy, leggings are back in, even in stripes – dreadful!! We have walked round town for hours- Emma came home with a tub of body cream from the body shop!! Just been to get last fitting for Gabi’s communion dress, gorgeous, can’t wait to send you the pictures. Angela is as addicted to your blog as we all are, I make sure got a nice cuppa in front of me and ain’t disturbed while I sit back and enjoy. Keep us updated as much as you can. Lots of love. Take care CL x x

  7. Auntie Rosemary says:

    Hi Suzie:
    Lovely catching up again and what delightful young men the brothers sound – I’m sure they’re as delighted having you around (as you’re such a breath of fresh air!) as you are being there – I feel very proud you’re doing such worthwhile work helping with their English. My grandma would be proud of you with your card playing (never got the hang of it myself!!) too busy cleaning!! Oh well, must away now. Take good care – Love & miss you.
    Auntie Rosemary x

  8. Kate Rolston says:

    Hi Suzie;
    This is Kathryn Rolston, daughter of Sheila Holden and Frank Rolston who’s parents were May And Frank Rolston.
    I was wondering when you were in Bangalore, did you ever go to visit Mysore?
    There are some great temples and an Ashram there.

    Would love to here from you,

    Kate Rolston.