BootsnAll Travel Network



Review Peru: Cusco – Manu Adventures (tour operator)

Name: Manu Adventures

Location: Cusco, Peru

Address: Plateros 356 – Cusco – Perú
Phone: +51 84 26 16 40
+51 84 22 41 00

E-mail: manuadventures@terra.com.pe

Website: www.manuadventures.com

Review: So you want to go to the Peruvian jungle? If you’re in Cusco…or going to Cusco…the standard two jungle options are to take a plane to Puerto Maldonado and then go by boat up the river. Or take a bus through The Sacred Valley of the Incas descending through the cloud forest and ultimately into the rainforest of Manu National Park. The basic difference between PM and Manu is that there are more people in PM and better (read: more luxurious) lodges. Manu, on the other hand, is less visited and therefore you are more likely to see animals such as birds, monkeys and snakes.

After hearing the speeches of numerous touts we were ultimately convinced that Manu was the place to be despite the fact it was a 10 hour bus ride in each direction. No worries…I actually enjoy bus rides as you get to see a lot of countryside while en route to your destination. OK, so next we needed to pick a tour group and by far the best presentation (which included pictures of what we’d be seeing) was at Manu Adventures. In addition, Manu is considered to run the most physically active of jungle programs out of Cusco including mountain biking, white water rafting and a canopy tour (ziplines to most of us). Lots of agencies in Cusco will book this Manu package but I think it’s best to book directly with them…their office is on Plateros just like everyone else so stop in and check it out.

Manu National Park in Peru is considered to be one of the most diverse in terms of species of both flora and fauna in the world. There are 3 zones to the park: cultural (where our tour took place), reserved (very remote and thus very expensive to get to) and the intangible zone (no tourism allowed to protect indigenous communities and only a very limited number of scientists are let in per year). The standard tour consists of 4 days/3 nights which will not be enough if you’re really into jungle species and enjoy taking extensive walks. For most of us, 4 days/3 nights would do it.

The first day consists of a longish-drive to the first lodge including several interesting stops along the way. The second day starts with an early viewing of the famous Cock of the Rock birds followed by an optional mountain biking tour. Those not mountain-biking will do an hour-long hike ultimately meeting up with the bikers in a nearby village where the whitewater rafting takes place. You then do a short rafting tour (speed depending on the level of the river) and ultimately take a boat to the final lodge, Erika Lodge.

For the next couple of days you’ll take several hikes (including at least one at night), a boat tour to see the parrot clay licks and of course do the canopy tour (ziplines) through the jungle. The lodges are both pretty basic with proper toilets and cold, freshwater showers. The food was, again, excellent and plentiful. There is also ample time for just relaxing in the hammocks and under the protective roofs watching the river go by. Our trip proved to be quite adventurous mostly in the transport as our vehicles broke down in both directions. My only complaint with this company is that I wish they would do better maintenance on their vehicles and/or provide their guides with cell phones for situations that go array. Otherwise, a great tour and a good time was had by all. Our cost in December of 2007 was US$375 for 5 days/4 nights all inclusive (except for guide/worker tips).

Would I book with them again: Yes



Tags: , , ,

5 Responses to “Review Peru: Cusco – Manu Adventures (tour operator)”

  1. Viané Cruz Says:

    Esta empresa Manu Adventures ofrece, lo que realmente es manu, lo lamentable es que existe un sin fin de agencias que ofrece nuestros paquetes como endosantes, muchos de ellos terminan haciendo tours que nada tiene que ver con nuestro programa, haciendonos quedar mal.

    Los comentarios, deben ayudar a mejorar la situacion de la empresa por el bienestar de sus trabajadores, Los malos clientes siempre tiene comentarios deliberantes daninos, y muchas veces agresivos.

    Manu es para aventureros, retroceeder 50 años y disfrutar de la la naturaleza que tal vez no volveremos a ver nunca mas…

  2. Raquel Says:

    The original review of this company is outdated. I just got back today and I can say without a doubt it was the worst and most disorganised tour I have ever been on. My husband and I were lied to before we went.. they will tell you anything to get a sale. DO NOT GO WITH THIS COMPANY!!!!!

  3. Deepa P. Says:

    My experience with this company was fantastic the accomodation was clean and comfortable the people in the lodges was very helpful and our guide was fantastic, very passionate and informative. I enjoyed the trip very much…

  4. Cristina López Blasco Says:

    La experiencia inolvidable, Saúl, guía de rafting, encantador al igual que José y Willi, guías tirolina muy experimentados y mucha confianza ofrecen. César, un guía muy entendido, válido para su trabajo, explicaciones perfectas, respetuoso.

    Gracias por la vivencia en la selva.

  5. Susan Says:

    This tour company is only for the young, adventurous, physically fit and those willing to accept a level of danger. The van used to transport us didn’t even have a starter, the driver had to hot wire it to get it started. We had two flat tires on the way in, dust poured in through a hole in the floor, and there were no seat belts. On the way out of the jungle, the van broke down at night and we had to start walking to the lodge. On the way into Cusco, the van was so overloaded that it was top heavy and we finally had to make the driver stop in Pisac, where we hired a collectivo to take us into Cusco. The boat which took us to the Manu River had wooden seats, cushioned only with 2 inch foam rubber cushions. No life jackets.

Leave a Reply