BootsnAll Travel Network



Home 2 – Extravaganza by the Numbers

Crucita, Ecuador

Welcome to the second-to-last post of Stacey’s 30th Birthday Extravaganza.  Now that you are all familiar with my favorites and reflections on a qualitative level I thought it might be fun to collect a few statistics on the trip…and, of course, share my favorite photos from the first 3 months I spent in South America.  Enjoy them both and type to you all on Friday.

Crucita, Ecuador

Stacey paragliding in Crucita, Ecuador

My Ecuadorian Host Family

Cuenca, Ecuador

Cuenca, Ecuador

Roadtrip Statistics

  1. Best Mileage Earned by Stacey’s Beloved Civvy – 42 miles per gallon (Upper Peninsula, Michigan & through the mountains of Montana from Missoula to Fort Benton) 

  2. Total # of Miles Traveled – 12,478 miles

  3. Least Expensive Hotel – Mountain Host Motor Inn, Iron Mountain, Michigan  – $61.20

  4. Most Expensive Hotel – Holiday Inn Express, Boerne, Texas – $152.37

  5. # of States/Provinces Traveled Through – 25 States + District of Columbia + 2 provinces (Quebec and Ontario)

  6. # of generous friends/family who gave me a place to stay – 16 people/families

  7. Persons with the highest number of unique appearances on the blog – Matt and Jen: a.  Mile 3510 for their wedding reception in Ontario b. Mile 10,143 in Montana and c. The Final Mile in Madison before I left for South America

  8. The question everyone wants to know but is too polite to ask Part 1 – “How much did you spend on the Extravaganza Roadtrip?” = $5,610 (over my originally planned budget of $5000)

Vilcabamba, Ecuador

Conny and Stacey in Vilcabamba, Ecuador

Penguin in the Galapagos Islands

Galapagos Islands, Ecuador

South America Statistics

  1. # of countries visited – 5 (Ecuador, Peru, Chile, Argentina and Brazil (one day))

  2. Total # of miles traveled – 8,890 miles

  3. Least Expensive Hotel – Chicago Hostel, Quito Ecuador – $9 per night for a single room

  4. Most Expensive Hotel Hotel Pakaritampu, Ollantaytambo, Peru -$104 total (my and Lindsay’s Sacred Valley splurge)

  5. # of people throughout the entire trip who referred to me as señora (lady) rather than señorita (young lady)  – 2 (both men)

  6. # of times I went to McDonalds – 5 – And most of those trips were in the last month because there was one down the street from my apartment in Buenos Aires.  No matter where you are, McDonald’s is almost always the cheapest…but perhaps more importantly…is frequently the only place to get coffee to-go.

  7. Average wages for various workers in South America (data was collected anecdotally): a.  My Ecuadorian host-mother Camila (US$1000 per month), b. Workers in the jungle in charge of zip-lines and various tasks (400 soles (approx. US$134 per month) c.  Luxury bus hosts in Chile that are similar to flight attendants (US$400 per month)

  8. The question everyone wants to know but is too polite to ask Part 2 – “How much did you spend on the Extravaganza in South America?” = $11,217 (over my originally planned budget of $10,000.  Mostly due to going to Chile (expensive) rather than Bolivia (super-cheap) and taking $500 worth of unplanned flights)

My home in the Galapagos…Nemo II Catamaran

Sunset in the Galapagos

Stacey and a Giant Tortoise

Underwater in the Galapagos…

Baby sea lions…

…and Blue-Footed Boobies

Blog Statistics

  1. Total # of posts – 79 (as of today); 81 (including this one and the final post on Friday)

  2. Total # of comments (as of this post) – 171

  3. Total # of hits on the Extravaganza blog – 45, 291 (including 11,010 unique IP address hits)

  4. Day of the week with the highest number of hits – Tie between Monday and Friday with 15.25% each

  5. Month of the Extravaganza with the largest # of hits – January (7,971 hits – 17% of all hits were in January)

  6. Most active commenters (as of today) – 1. Mom (34 comments) 2. Andrea (30 comments) 3. Jenny (13 comments)

Galapagos Islands, Ecuador

Lindsay and the city of Cusco, Peru

Ollantaytambo, Peru

The Sacred Valley of the Incas, Peru



Tags:

One Response to “Home 2 – Extravaganza by the Numbers”

  1. Erin Says:

    Wow! 17Gs not bad at all for all that fun. Maybe I should start saving up for an Extravaganza of my own!

  2. Posted from United States United States

Leave a Reply