BootsnAll Travel Network



Himalayan Healers

After months of deciding on a name, Himalayan this, Himalayan that, Rob really liked that word, although I really didn’t. We finally picked something we both liked, Himalayan Healers. Hooray!

Well, I had an interesting Friday. Rob took me to meet with the DWO, Dalit Welfare Organization . Rob met with them two months ago, and established a relationship, and they agreed to help us recruit students.

We discussed the criteria the students must have, like the equivalent to a high school education, literate in English, also English speaking, etc. They have quite a media network, with radio, and TV programs once a week on the different FM stations and TV networks. They also will do the advertising in the local newspapers.

They really like the idea, and think that it is unique, and their enthusiasm about it really is encouraging. They like the project since we are providing a new field of work, training, and job placement.

We also found counsellers as well, one of the organizer’s for the student union at DWO, that we met with, was also trained for basic counseling at a local NGO, (non-governmental organization, a.k.a. in the U.S. as non-profits). I was doing a search for psychology degrees in Nepal when I read this article that mentioned him in it a couple of days before I met him.

They also asked us to translate into Nepali the requirements for students who want to apply. They have radio shows, TV shows and a section in the Nepali language newspapers for DWO. They are very organized indeed!

I spent a few hours occassionally putting my input as Rob and my cousin, Sarina, translated the criteria for DWO, for their radio announcements.

The students that will come from the DWO, will have to answer essay questions, along with a personal interview. We have a deadline at the end of October. There are some major holidays coming up, kind of similar to Thanksgiving to Winter celebrations. We have Dashain and Tihar; Dashain is a two week celebration, and Tihar, runs about a week. So, for about a month, there is no productivity in terms of work, as these are religious, national holidays.

During Dashain , schools and Universities are closed, and most businesses also closed to celebrate. Tihar is the festivals of lights and all these other deity worshipings. That’s basically the holidays in a nutshell. There is a break between the two holidays, but it’s just so that people can prepare for Tihar.

So, it’s important that we get started recruiting students from the DWO-side now, before Dashain starts. And then during the Nepali holidays, we can concentrate on the fund drive.

Our web-site will be up soon, we’ve been experiencing delays with it, which isn’t very cool.

I will post on this web-site, more about the work, and sponsorship packages, etc. We are also looking to establish sister communities in the States with yoga center’s, massage schools, healing center’s, ecetera.



Tags: , ,

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *