BootsnAll Travel Network



Fish bone

Let me tell you about a story about the fish bone that was caught in a Faire Maiden’s throat for three days, and nobody, but nobody, would take her to the clinic to have it removed.

She was having dinner at a friend of her parents, who thoughtfully invited her. Fried fish was served as an appetizer. It had many bones in it, as Nepali’s do not filet their fish, they cook the whole thing, and suffer with the bones.

She chewed carefully, but alas, one cannot always catch those pesky, sharp fish bones. So, when she swallowed, she felt a tiny prick in her throat and announced, “I think I have a fish bone stuck in my throat!”

Everyone expressed full facial contortions at their concern for our heroine, the Faire Maiden, but alas, not comfort can truly be given to someone with a fish bone in the throat, now can one?

Though it wasn’t so serious, as our Faire Laedy was not in any pain and it didn’t cause her to choke, so they all went upstairs to have dinner.

The other guest, who is also a friend of her parent’s, suggested our Faire Maiden to eat put handful of rice, smash it in her precious hands and swallow it. She was also told to eat some beaten rice, which is crunchy and flat. This is supposed to dislodge the bone since it supposed to act as a scrubber of sorts.

She could barely feel the bone and doubted that maybe it wasn’t a bone, but just a natural part of her body, or an anomaly that could prove to be fatal.

She and her friend bid their hosts adieu, and she went home.

Her friend told her to go to the clinic immediately the next day. The Faire Maiden told her Uncle, who said to eat some beaten rice.

She replied she would go to the clinic in the morning and he promptly answered, “not to go to the clinic for that.”

Confused, she obeyed for he was the ruler and wise one of the castle. So the next day, she didn’t feel, it, only once in every while. She ate more beaten rice, about a cup, still nothing. Her Uncle kept recommending the beaten rice techniqe, and relating his own fish-bone-in-the-throat story. And that eating the beaten rice, wihtout taking liquid, will remove the fish bone.

Days had passed since she ate the fish, three days. On the third day, everyone asked about the fish bone. She had no idea if it was there, she tried to swallow hard, move her throat up and down with the her tongue, but didn’t feel anything.

“Maybe it is gone,” she thought to herself.

It wasn’t until the third evening, while she lay on her right side, she could feel more of the bone in her throat. So, she proceeded to use her throat muscles to remove it, and after a couple of minutes, it jumped out of the place in her throat and onto her tongue.

It was about half an inch long. Such a small thing can cause such a worrisome problem.

Be careful with the fish, it’s better to eat it with a fork and knife, so you can take them out before eating them.

But sometimes, when in Nepal, you don’t have such utensils, only your hands. In that case pick through it until you get the meet off and no bones.

And our Faire Maiden never at an un-fileted piece of fish again.

The End



  • Tags: ,

    One response to “Fish bone”

    1. Jessica says:

      First good job on the blog! I always prefer to go along with the alternative remedies. I’m fed up with hearing about latest “Wonder Drug”, solely to search out out a year or later that it causes some horrible disease. I like the television commercials for prescribed drugs, I guess they need to record any known aspect-effects (that’s good) but it typically makes the facet-effects of the treatment sound worse then the disease.

    Leave a Reply

    Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *