BootsnAll Travel Network



Fixing electronics in a foreign country

Now, I’m no computer wizard. This is for sure. I mean I can run around the internet with the best of them. I can fix little problem son windows. Virus check, configure, make this thing move faster. But I can not fix big problems. I can not take things apart and fix them. For example, my cleaning apparatus of my electric shaver stopped working. After playing around with it I realized that if I pushed down on it, it would work. This would be fine if I was willing to stand by my shaver for a half hour. Being the crafty person I am I came up with this: fix

When I first arrived in China I had big problems. Well I’d like to back track and say that Toshiba’s suck. Fact. I have had nothing but problems from my toshiba laptop from the day I got it. In fact this is my second Toshiba, my first one had to many problems in such a short time they had to give me a new one. But anyways when I got to China my computer wouldn’t turn on. I couldn’t use a listerine bottle this time to make the thing work. After much deliberation I finally decided to get it fixed. Now not speaking Chinese I was very worried about how to do this. I looked online at an expatriate website message board and found the name Jimmy. Store 331 across from HK Plaza. So first I had to find Hong Kong Plaza. Then I had to figure out which way across from the plaza. Finally after a couple lucky guesses and some internet research. I found store 331. Jimmy was not there. But they did show me Jimmy’s card. At this point I lied and told them I was a friend of Jimmy’s. They were quite impressed. I sat down, off my computer went. I’m a little nervous at this point, but c’mon, I was Jimmy’s friend, what would they do. They came back in a little and told me 150RMB. which is about $18-9. I was thrilled. I accepted 150 and the man went back, when he returned, he told me there were bigger problems and they would have to take it elsewhere to inspect it. This time I followed.
So now I’m at booth #2 with people who do not speak any English. The people from Jimmy’s booth come over to translate. They tell me they need to open the computer to test the problem. This is where it gets interesting. I have no real idea what going on at this point, but the man proceeds to unscrew and undo my laptop into as many pieces as possible. laptop peices After this was completed the man told me that for 600RMB he can fix it. I needed a new piece which he pointed to. No idea what it was but hey 550 to make it work. sure. They call me a couple days later. I excitedly go back and again it doesn’t work. But for another 50 they can fix it completely. But it will take more time. I go back 2 days later to a fully working and operations Chinese Windows XP. Great.



Tags: , ,

-1 responses to “Fixing electronics in a foreign country”

  1. elliottng says:

    wow this is scary! I had a similar experience. Flew into Pudong, walked out of the baggage claim, forgot to strap in my PowerBook in the backpack and then SLAM, it falls out and hits the pavement. Hard drive is damaged and now I’m in China for 2 weeks without a computer. It was a test of faith and my wits…btw, the photos on this post need to be resized!

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *