BootsnAll Travel Network



June 2: Kolomyya

<!–[if !mso]&gt; st1\:*{behavior:url(#ieooui) } &lt;![endif]–>

Journey to Kolomyya and Arrival at On the Corner

 

After checking out of the hotel, I walked the 500 km with my suitcase (which survived this journey), and found a bus leaving for Kolomyya in 20 minutes (all the others were leaving later). The driver unlocked the back and laid my suitcase on top of the spare tire.  I was able to overlook this cringeworthy moment when he walked with me to the kassa and told the cashier that I needed a ticket to Kolomyya. He then showed me on the ticket where my seat number was!  He must have guessed I was a foreigner, but even so, to get that kind of service from a bus driver as a foreigner amazed me.

 

When the bus pulled in to the Kolomyya bus station, I asked the driver how to get to Vul. Peremohy—I knew from my map in Lonely Planet that I could walk that road to the On the Corner guesthouse I’d be staying at.  He pointed me instead to marshrutkas. On the way to the marshrutkas, a taxi driver asked where I was going.  It was raining lightly and I had all that luggage and I was not oriented yet, so I said “vul. Hetmanska.” He repeated back the street and number of the guesthouse! Again I was stunned.  Totally worth 15 hr.

 

He drove up to the house and set my big bag on the sidewalk. I rang the doorbell, then turned the knob and it was open.  Slav came and helped me (or rather, I helped him) carry my things upstairs to the spacious second floor room with a balcony.  He showed me the shared bath and said there are two other bathrooms downstairs.  I looked on my own at the library on the third floor.

 

I went downstairs and had lunch with a film professor from UNLV and a tour agent who had  driven from Italy via Budapest.  I enjoyed the vegetable soup (in chicken broth). The bread tasted homemade. The second course was shredded cabbage salad with sweet red pepper (not overly salted or oiled up), and pasta topped with chicken in a red-orange sauce.

            During lunch, Slav and Vitaly talked with the two men. In the course of the conversation, I learned that at this time of year, the mountain I thought I could try to hike on my own according to Lonely Planet (Hoverla) is likely covered with snow right now; it can only be hiked in July and August. I was glad I didn’t stay in Yeremcha Monday night and try to go at it on my own.

Around Kolomyya

After lunch, I took a short siesta, then decided it was time to see the city even though it was cold and rainy.  I walked first to the museum of Hutsul art.  Walking through those rooms, I saw types of wooden decorations and intricate carvings that I’d  seen replicated on souvenirs sold in Odessa and Chisinau, but here in the museum, I realized that people really used to make and use such things by hand.  The intricacy of it all was amazing.  I even took some pictures of the replica of the Hutsul hut, with a ceramic hutch similar to the one I had seen in Yeremcha. There were also exhibits of oil painting and a special exhibit on the writer-researcher-lawyer (?) Andri Chaikovsky who had lived in Kolomyya.

 

At the end of the tour I walked through one more room that turned out to be a gift shop.  There a ceramic dish with a bird design on it caught my eye.  When an object calls out to you like that, you have to buy it.  And it wasn’t overpriced.

 

From there I went to the pysanky (painted egg museum). It is a smaller museum, but filled with painted eggs by professionals and students from all over Ukraine and even the USA.  The best part though was that the building itself is painted and shaped like an egg!  I’m also glad I stayed in Ivano-Frankisk an extra day, as both museums are closed on Mondays.

 

I wandered down Chornomola street and popped into a shoe store to have something to do.  Adjacent to it—and this is the first and only time I’ve ever seen such a store on Earth—was a store with ladies’ raincoats on the right, and a wall of power tools on the left.  I can only hope it wasn’t a front for money laundering, especially since I bought a lovely plum short-waisted raincoat.  From there I popped in to the Kazka (fairy tale) café for a cappuccino and a cookie that tasted like it was made from almond paste and topped with coconut. The cappuccino was just okay, but it was good to get out of the cold and stare at the décor, large puzzle-shaped paintings of Ukrainian fairy tales.

 

I kept walking and found a couple of nice looking churches, the middle school, and the town hall building.  I didn’t expect to find a synagogue, but I did.  It’s only open Mondays, Thursdays, and Saturdays; maybe I’ll try to go in on Thursday. Less than 2 houses away from the synagogue sat an old Audi with a small trailer full of pigs.  It would have been funnier if it hadn’t been 2 houses away from the synagogue.  Plus, walking past it I understood why pigs are used as a metaphor for filth.

Dinner is Served

 

I made my way back to On the Corner.  Slav greeted me and asked what time I wanted dinner. Would 8:00 be okay? Perfect, I said.  I worked on my pictures and blog. I didn’t want to walk downstairs right at 8 because I didn’t want to be rude and show up on time expecting dinner if they were running late. But at 8:03 (by my computer), Slav came up the stairs, knocked, and said dinner was ready.

 

I came downstairs and was a little sad to be at the long table alone.  And then the plate came.  It was steak and colorful potatoes. It was so pretty I almost couldn’t eat it.  I wished Gen were here to take a picture of it.  It turned out the steak was a thin pork cutlet, but it was grilled so prettily it looked like beef to me. And the potatoes were not potatoes—they were summer squash with bits of tomato, onion, and what I think was scrambled egg chopped  finely.  With my tea, Slav brought three small pastries (2 squares filled with poppyseeds and one mini crescent roll with a spot of jam). Though Lonely Planet may have exaggerated about the town being as “pretty as a picture”, they didn’t exaggerate about On the Corner.

 

Slav also said he talked with his father (after my request for a walking tour after reading in Lonely Planet that they offer excursions), and said there is a bus to Yaremche at 8:50. So I will have breakfast at 8 a.m. (on the dot), and his father will come at 8:30 to take me to the station and on a walking tour.  So I will get a second chance at Yaremche.  And a chance to try the famous coffee.

 



Tags: , , , ,

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *