BootsnAll Travel Network



Rupert talks about: Laura

Laura At Eden

My princess.

Laura is what we (and by we I mean the straight male genus, or at least most of us. Let’s say the commonsensical types amongst us) wish for all our life, and very few are rewarded with the grand prize; a girl with beauty on the outside only equaled by the caring, fun (and funny), honest and loving beauty that grows within. If only that was enough, but the unknown is ahead, and if our trips’ to Wales and Cornwall are anything to go by, as The Great Morpheus said: “Believe me when I say; we have a difficult time ahead of us”. The journeys will be longer, the air closer, the temperature hotter. We will be tired, hungry, but above all we will be laughing. Because no matter how many times we cry and shout at each other, we just have to look around and be thankful for each others company in the strange surroundings.

And without Laura I really wouldn’t be here, writing this, knowing that in (checks calendar) three months tomorrow we set off for Bangkok, Thailand. One day perhaps I would have taken that epic of a step forward and set up a savings account, and begun the research, but to have a companion to motivate and be motivated by has made it happen so much smoother, and more importantly, sooner.

But lets dig a little deeper and allow me to invite you into our world for a moment.

I met Laura whilst getting paid to drink profligately in a crooked club at the hub of Bristol’s binge drinking centre, occasionally serving one of the thousands of customers storming to the bar for a cool larger (only to be met by me, the ‘inconsiderate to their impatient needs for alcohol immediately’ bartender). Apparently I had met Laura on several occasions before remembering who she was, whilst she was dating a friend of mine during a forgivable imprudent period of her life . Unfortunately this was when I would meet someone and within seconds of being told I’d have forgotten his or her name*, so I will forgive you in being unsurprised that I was not a worthy hopeful for Laura’s love during that phase of my erratic social life. Things were destined to change, although not for another two years.

When eventually our paths crossed again it didn’t take long, a spark that we knew existed was allowed to light the flame. I have never felt so much elation for one person, anyone who has been there will identify with me the feelings and thoughts that go through your mind when you find that person you can’t stop thinking about, and anyone who has not yet found him or her; look forward to it.

Another two years later and that feeling has grown into love and is ever expanding, notwithstanding the cooking skills of someone who, when I first met her, had trouble frying eggs, or using the right knife** for the job.

Laura is unrelentingly selfless, and because of that she is my idol. Over the recent years I have tried to become more… philosophical I suppose, trying to better myself, achieving good karma and ridding myself of bad. But where I am struggling up a colossal waterfall, Laura is paddling down a calm stream. Despite this natural karma Laura continues to worry about the sky falling on our heads (in metaphorical terms only, you understand. Adventures of Asterix & Obelix readers will understand. I hope), so perhaps we can both teach each other a thing of two about life.

So, let the games begin!

*The amount of telephone numbers in my phonebook under ‘?’ was, to say the very least, an embarrassment of the observant, considerate and gentle man I am today. Take note of the latter, a demonstration to the those who are losing faith in their loved ones ability to come out of their party animal coma. Change is feasible. Okay, some change is possible. Probably. Maybe.
**Look, you don’t use a steak knife to cut your (uncooked) potatoes. I’m no chef, but there are lines I will not cross. I mean are we trying to cut the potato or grate it?



Tags:

-2 responses to “Rupert talks about: Laura”

  1. Philip says:

    Again very nice. Almost put a tear in my eye.

    Can’t wait to see you dude, I know I haven’t seen much of you but I still think of you as a close friend that is there for me when I need help and I hope you know that I will do the same.

    See you on the 26th

  2. Nathan says:

    Makes me want to cry…… In fact I will boo hoo

  3. admin says:

    Philip, it took you 8 minutes to forget what day it is: 27th lad, 27th!

  4. Philip says:

    That’s what I said the 26th Doh 27th!

  5. Oliver says:

    Can I smell cheese?

    No really its lovely 😉

  6. admin says:

    That’ll be your feet, I’ve told you before Ollie; soap is your friend.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *