BootsnAll Travel Network



Daintree and Kuranda

Daintree
Rupert writes
PICT5530

Keep going past Cairns and you reach the tropical rainforest of Daintree. To sum up Daintree in one word I would have to use ‘fresh’. Because that’s what you feel, what you breath, and what you see. It had been raining the previous day so every plant and tree was dripping with life; the crawling kind as well as it’s own lush green leaves.
PICT5527
This picture and the first is of a Strangler Fig. During their life they wrap around a tree, eventually strangling the life out of it, until it dies, leaving just the Strangler Fig. See how much we’ve learnt?

We visited the Discovery Centre, which for twenty five bucks – I may say bucks, but I will fight off the accent – gave you the chance to walk through a part of the rainforest on a raised platform, then climb a tower to see over the hundreds of years old trees. Entry fee also included a guide book to all the wild life, plants and trees.

PICT5496
PICT5501

Although I enjoyed the chance to learn about the evolution of rainforests, creation of cyclones and how every living thing appears to have a reason, I still felt the entry fee was high.

PICT5504
As we gazed at little turtles in one tank, this chap was having an argument with some other fish and made a jump for it, landing unexpectantly at my feet. I dropped it back in what I later found out was the wrong tank, although apparently it was probably for the best. Poor thing was being bullied.

PICT5514
PICT5546

We had a great day out, and had we planned it better would have probably spent a couple of days exploring the rainforest. But then, I don’t think either of us a really grown up enough to fully appreciate that sort of activity just yet.

Kuranda
Laura writes
PICT5582

These pictures are from Barron Falls in Kuranda. We stood at the top of this explosive waterfall, astonished by it’s sheer power, and breathtaken by it’s beauty. This natural marvel, falling from hights with such force, creates a fairy like mist which fills the valley’s and floats to the skies.
The Kuranda railway (as you can see from the pictures) runs along-side the Barron Falls and takes tourists on a magical tour through countryside and rainforests. Unfortunately for us, having the van meant we were unable to partake in this activity, but it certainly made our pictures look rather glitzy.

PICT5598

The mist from the Barron gives one the illusion that jumping into this monster would be fun – better take a rain-check on that one!

We’re adding our story bit by bit, as we’re running out of time to do the whole write up before we leave Australia (Monday 10th April). So here’s a bit, and more will come soon.

Singapore is our next destination! And then Malaysia. We can’t wait! Hear from us soon.

Rupert and Laura x



Tags: , ,

One response to “Daintree and Kuranda”

  1. Olly says:

    That first photo is amazing, postcard material for sure. Along with the cat on the wheel one.

    Got any climbing done?

    O

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *