BootsnAll Travel Network



Back In The – clean – Land Of Smiles

Tonsai
PICT4056

Rupert writes
On the mainland of the Krabi district – although separated from the world by towering limestone cliffs dripping with climbing opportunities that are no virgin to the sweaty fingers of climbers that come from around the globe to hang off in agonising determination – is Tonsai, a secluded climbers paradise. Here we met up with Olly, my friend and climbing partner from home.

After one day at Tonsai beach we left for Koh Phi Phi and more climbing that was less severe – because I was way out of practice, albeit not as much as I though I would be – and not so manically busy. Plus the size of the spiders – I’m not kidding, they were huge, and everywhere – and quantity was far to overwhelming for a wimp like me.

Koh Phi Phi
PICT4177

Nearly wiped off the face of the planet by the Tsunami, Koh Phi Phi is a healing paradise beauty that wears too much make-up. Many speculated that the disaster striking here would turn the island around, giving back it’s natural beauty, but thanks to government greed the big businesses are edging their way on more and more – with small businesses left struggling – and this small island is being consumed by the package tourist industry, leaving little left for the budget traveller to enjoy or admire. That said, the island still holds a certain attraction, and the tourist-overkill didn’t stop us spending two weeks solid on the island.

PICT4069

We managed to get in a full days climbing before Olly was confined to his bed with a bad dose of sea-food poisoning, although I did manage to get him back to health just in time to buy us a big meal with daddy’s pocket money before he left. Good lad.

Diving
P1170058

We really only came to Koh Phi Phi for one thing; diving. Whilst I climbed Laura hunted for the best diving company on the island, and found a down-to-earth man from our neck of the woods; Cole, from Bath. After a three day course we were certified divers, but that just wasn’t enough for me. I was hooked the moment we dropped into the water the first time, the feeling was awesome for me, so I immediately booked myself onto the advanced course for the following two days that included another five dives. Laura was a little more nervous than me so held back on the advanced course, but we did another dive together a couple of days after my second course.

P1170067P1170063

P1170004P1170003

P1170008P1170077

P1170088P1170099

P1010242
How this photo came out so well when the rest didn’t I have no idea. But it’s a beauty; of a Moray.


The Wreck Dive
P1010254
Part of the advanced course involved a wreck dive down to thirty metres, which certified us all to that depth for future dives, providing none of us went do-lally with nitrogen narcosis. We didn’t.

P1010121P1010164

P1010128P1010149

P1010145P1010162
The friendly camera man and the toilets. There’s no relation to the two photos, I assure you.

P1010133
As we reached 29.5 metres and there, lying on the bottom, was this lepard shark. Awesome.

Koh Lanta
PICT4197

Laura writes
When we arrived in Koh Lanta we were picked up from the ferry port and taken to the Green Garden Resort. It wasn’t until we checked-in that it became clear just what relaxation we had let ourselves in for. Here beaches were plentiful, countryside was everywhere and the lack of shops and buildings meant we were surrounded by peace and quiet on every turn.

PICT4190PICT4192
And relax

We hired various mopeds (including the one which broke down), ate far too many ice-creams, watched picturesque sun-sets, played with their pet monkey (who seemed to like grooming Rupert) and was entertained by the pet otter often passing our beach-hut.

PICT4201PICT4207
The moped that didn’t break down, and the coolest Bungalow – with it’s own watch tower, equipped with hammock – ever

Bangkok
PICT4242

But of course, relaxation had to end somewhere, and before we knew it we were back in the manic-city of smog; Bangkok. We didn’t really do much with our time there, accept buy and sell a few books, catch up on Internet updates, eat, sleep and drink; but it was enough to put us in the right location of Thailand ready to head to the place I’d oh so been waiting for for the entire trip; Kanchanaburi!

Kanchanaburi
PICT4405

When we arrived we hopped into a cycle-rickshaw and headed to the Jolly Frog Guest House. The rooms were only 200 baht a night, beer’s cheap and their apple pie was amazing!

PICT4402PICT4396
Jenga with your meal, sir?

Two days into the trip we hired a Toyota, and after travelling 45k down the wrong road, heading back the other way then missing various turnings, and stopping for directions more than once we finally made it to Tiger Temple. I had been waiting to visit ever since we started our trip and after travelling around for 5-months now was that time…!

PICT4393PICT4392
Our car and delirious driver

The first tiger cub (whose condition was very poor) arrived to the monastery in February 1999. When she was only a few months old her mother was killed by poachers near the Thai-Burma border and the little cub was sold to a new owner whom ordered her stuffed. The man who was hired to do the job did not finish this and although he injected her in the neck with the preservative formalin the cub survived. When she arrived at the monastery she was frail and terrified of a slightest sound. She still has stitches in the cuts on her head and her vision was impaired along with many other injuries. Under loving care of the monks the cub recovered, but in July 1999 she fell seriously ill with heart palpitations and died.
After the first cub died two healthy male cubs were brought to the monastery after another poaching incident, and soon after that more followed!

The Abbot, Phra Acharn Chan, kindly welcomed the animals. And so the monks ended up looking after the orphaned cubs. None of them had any training in how to handle tigers. They had to learn on the job, but the monastery did its duty and became a sanctuary that upholds compassion and kindness to all living creatures.

I was a little dubious when signing the declaration form. It stated visitors should exercise care and caution around the animals, along with tigers are wild animals and visitors enter at their own risk. They won’t hold the temple responsible should any injury occur. That morning I had eaten bacon for breakfast and was worried the smell might still be on my hands, but despite my nerves there was no way either of us were backing out.

We were going to visit the biggest puddie cats of our lives! ….

PICT4431

PICT4432

PICT4454

PICT4502

PICT4319

PICT4301

PICT4298

PICT4292

PICT4281

PICT4286

PICT4288

PICT4484

PICT4482

PICT4244

PICT4304

PICT4451

PICT4537

PICT4461

We enjoyed it so much we went back for a second day!

The following day with another seven hours remaining on the hire of the Toyota we decided to spent the time tracking down one of Thailand’s natural hot springs. It was an early start at 7am with an incredibly long two hour drive ahead of us, but we finally made it after endless searching and nearly turning around several times. But perseverance got us a nice hot bath.

PICT4387PICT4385

Floating Market, just outside Bangkok
PICT4608

Deciding not to spend our entire duration on Khao San Road whilst we wait to depart for Australia, today we took a trip to the Floating Market. It was an agonising 7.00am pick-up, which didn’t bode well with us lazy risers, but we did manage not to miss our bus so we must have been doing something right.

PICT4600

PICT4584

We decided to have one of our take-away breakfasts from the 7eleven, six small boxes of cereal and a bottle of milk between us. Sometimes we managed to part with a cheeky plastic cup and spoon to eat out of, however this time we weren’t so lucky. So we headed back to the guest-house to beg for eating utensils!

PICT4606

PICT4595

Despite being incredibly swamped by tourists I thought the floating market was awesome. We ate Thai pancakes, fresh mango’s, fruits I couldn’t even begin to pronounce let alone spell and watched as the beautifully loaded boats of flowers, noodle soups, vegetables and gifts waded fast in the congestion of river boat mayhem.

PICT4605

We then took a rather random speed boat down another connecting river, speeding off into the middle of nowhere, turning around after five minutes, and then coming back again. hhmm. However, I did see the biggest wild lizzard of my life. I’ve no idea what it was doing or where it was heading, but it certainly blew me over by the sheer mass of the thing. I seriously question the exisitance of draggons after that!

Included in our tour was advertised a trip to the coconut factory to see how sugar is extracted from the cocnut plant. It wasn’t quite as expected. I think factory doesn’t quite cover it – More like small shed.

What Are We Doing Now?
Rupert writes
It’s all getting very close. We leave for Oz on 7th February; Tomorrow! We’ve little plan, but heaps of enthusiasm and confidence in hope and eventuality. The general idea is to pick up a camper van, and hit the road; starting in Melbourne and going around the East Coast then the West Coast. Then we sell the camper van in Perth three months later and head off to Bali. Walk in the park.



Tags: , , , , , , , , ,

One response to “Back In The – clean – Land Of Smiles”

  1. jenna says:

    how cute are the giant puddie cats? did you manage to go to the waterfalls while you were there? you will be pleased to know that im in lang prubang now so i have actually lefrt chang mai!! the photos of india lopok fantastic im thinking of doing a quick stop there myself now that im on the move again. take care jenna xx

  2. Shimara says:

    Hey Rupert,
    great pictures, looks likek you are having a fantastic time – turns out we might be in oz at the same time, I fly out on the 21st of feb for 5 weeks, mainly doing family stuff but will be on the East Coast, drop me an email and will try and catch up, it would be great to see you again. In the mean time have a great time and I just might see you there. Take care shimara x ps if my email does not show up Henry can get it from Gus x

  3. yeti says:

    Hey up,

    looks like you found your own Thomas Laura! Tickling their tummies, hope they didnt get your ankles like Thomas. Soldier! Looks like you got over your early nerves to get right into the tiger cuddling.

    Tired hungry and desperate for a glass of red here.

    yeti

    p.s. I gave up drinking at New Year

  4. admin says:

    Hey there!

    Jenna, didn’t manage to get any waterfalls, only the hot spring, which was awesome. The tigers were incredible weren’t they? We want to go back again and again. Glad you found your way to Laos at last. Enjoy.

    Shimara, I’ve emailed you so hope we can catch up. Small world!

    Yeti my dear friend, how the devil? Gave up drinking? Would you believe so have I, great minds and all that…

    Laura was, of course, over joyed with having our own pet for the week+. She’s sat next to me saying thank you for dropping by. That cat didn’t attack her but another little kitten wouldn’t let go and was hanging from her top by the claws! Very amusing.

    Take good care my friend, we’ll see you soon.

    Rupert and Laura x

  5. Jodie says:

    Hey Rupert and Laura!

    I saw your site through Jenna’s… You’re photo’s are amaaaaaazing. Keep having a smashing time 🙂

    Jodie xx

  6. Rupert and Laura says:

    Hey Jodie!

    Thanks for dropping by. Hopefully more photos, of Australia, to come soon!

    Hope your well.

    Take care,

    Rupert and Laura x

  7. kye says:

    hello strangers, sorry its been awhile, but i’ve been trying to keep up with fast pace of life out my way!!!! (loss of internet) but not to panic though all has returned, speaking of which i will be making my final return to the uk come the end of march, being reunited with my litlle girl
    take care
    kye

  8. faye says:

    glad to see you are still loving it! Am v v v jealous as we head into our third week of horrifc downpour and misery we can always look to you buggers having a great time! Am an Auntie now though so i get to feel all grown and superior for 3 seconds! Am also on a health kicj so swimming and the like 3 times a week (well that the plan but have only made 2 so far!) Am an non smoker and the proud owner of an allotment so the second you set foot in the UK you will be put to work and no mistake!!!

    All our love and kisses m(although they are angry and jealous kisses)

  9. Rupert and Laura says:

    It’s raining now in Bryon Bay, if that makes you feel any better. Although it’s still very hot and the downpour doesn’t last long. In fact after finishing that sentence it’s stopped.

    Whilst your getting healthy I’m getting fat. Honest, twenty stone now at least. Laura says twenty one. Meanie.

    Owning an allotment is very ‘grown up’. I’m scared.

    Nice to hear from you.

  10. Beaker says:

    Hey guys,

    Rupert, I remember you started this blog around the same time I started mine – we had a few similar questions popping up on the bootnsall boards I think. Have just had a quick skim and read of a few entries – those tiger photos are amazing. Sounds like we hit a few of the same places in Asia, (and had some similarly dodgy experiences along the way). Glad to hear you’ve made it as far as Oz – we head back home there in two days. Looking forward to hearing some of your tales from there.

    Dave.

  11. Rupert says:

    Hi Beaker,

    And you are, or were in, Vietnam? I’ll have to check out your site when we find somewhere cheap for internet (or free!).

    Thanks for posting though. Where about’s in Australia are you from? We’re in Bryon Bay, desperately trying to get a post up on the blog today.

  12. Beaker says:

    Well, we were in Vietnam, we’re now in Bangkok, but we fly back to Australia later today, exactly a year to the day after we left.

    We’re from Melbourne, but we’re only headed home for about 7 weeks before flying back to Scotland to work (we were there for 5 months previously). If we actually had a house I’d offer you somewhere to stay, but we’ll be sleeping on couches as it is.

    You’re headed north from Byron, yeah? Good luck – you’ll have seen a hell of a lot more of Australia than I have.

  13. Rupert says:

    Isn’t that always the case? It’s funny how one knows so very little about their own country. I’ve done a fair bit of travelling in the UK but that was when I was little, and now I’m a bit more grown up I don’t remember a thing and am absolutely useless when someone wants to know what there is to do as a tourist in the UK, or even in Bristol.

    We loved Melbourne a lot, you have a lovely home town.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *