BootsnAll Travel Network



Status Update – Operation Bird Discovery


Trogon

With Phase 1 of Operation Bird Discovery successfully implemented in Costa Rica, we have moved on to the second and more aggressive phase – Operation BD Belize.

l have spent most the week stalking birds. Scarlet macaws, toucans, trogons, kingfishers and parrots are some of the more than 75 bird specifies – yes, 75 – that I’ve spotted and identified in the last 3 days. That’s 50 new birds that will be added to my “Life List” – a birding term used by people as obsessed as me. I’m looking forward to a Canadian summer so I can actually check out Canadian birds and add them to the list too. I seem to only remember robins, blue jays, and Toronto pigeons and geese. Embarrassing, but true.

I did spend a day at the world’s only jaguar preserve – of course the jaguars, pumas, ocelots and jaguarundis don’t come out to play during the day – but I did see some recent jaguar paw prints, which might mean I just missed him. Maybe.

If you’re wondering why Brendan is noticeably absent from this week’s blogs – don’t worry, I haven’t fed him to a crocodile (yet) – he’s been busy writing about all those great hotels we went to last month. Only thing better than being a travel writer? Being a travel writer’s g-friend.

Bird - something to do with scissorsCrocs - not the shoesBirds in Belize - Hamanasi 019.jpgJaguar ProofScarlet Macaws - 5 AM wake up to see these guys



Tags: ,

One Response to “Status Update – Operation Bird Discovery”

  1. inna Says:

    it is sickening how jealous i’ve been of your adventures. but guess it’s great to live vicariously through them. mel, your bird education is wonderful – what an experience to see so many, first hand. keep it up, lads! xo ig*

Leave a Reply