BootsnAll Travel Network



“Shut your shabu-shabu hole” and other things overhead on a night of nomi hodai

tokyo-day-2-3-030.jpg 

tokyo-day-2-3-031.jpgAs most of you know, Brendan lived and worked in Japan for nearly 4 years. Some of his fellow teachers have since made this their permanent home and have moved on to high-ranking jobs in some of Tokyo’s best univerisities. But don’t let prestigious titles like “Professor” fool you – they can still party with the best of us.

Nomi hodai is a part of Japanese culture I can respect – 2 hours of all you can drink madness. It’s usually priced at less than the cost of 2 drinks – and if you accept the all-you-can challenge, well needless to say, it can be a smart financial decision.

tokyo-day-2-3-028.jpg tokyo-day-2-3-026.jpg tokyo-day-2-3-037.jpg

I experienced my first nomi hodai at a shabu-shabu restaurant, my first truly enjoyable Japanese dining experience. Shabu shabu involves cooking your own meat and veggies in a pot of boiling broth at your table – think fondue but faster and more fun. This was also my first fully successful chopstick meal – no flying meatballs, cramped hands or using my fingers when no one was looking.

tokyo-day-2-3-043.jpgPost nomi hodai, we entered the insanity of the entertainment district of Kabukicho – think Vegas on speed. Then multiply by a 10,000. Bright lights, casinos, bars, karaoke clubs, street vendors thousands of people in the street – and every debauchery opportunity you can imagine.

I think it’s official. Tokyo and I are becoming friends. Kampai!



Tags:

Leave a Reply