BootsnAll Travel Network



Random Tokyo Observations

I guess people really can get used to anything. I’m pleased to report that my anxiety in Tokyo is quickly being replaced by awe and fascination, to the point where I kind of regret that last blog post. Today, the MAS is just 26.

The Trains and Subwaystokyo-day-2-3-201.jpg

Yes, the Tokyo subway station is as crazy as you imagine it to be. With literally hundreds of lines, the award for complete insanity goes to Shinjuku Station, where 3.64 million people pass every single day. To put that number in perspective, that’s four times the number of people who use the TTC’s  43 stations every day – all in one place. At least there are 200 exits to manage everyone. And nice men who use sticks to ram everyone on board so the doors can close during rush hour. Seriously – I didn’t make that up.

jr-subway.jpg

Karaoke

We had our first karaoke experience in the city that invented it. Of course karaoke is usually performed here in private rooms or booths so you don’t have to torture a room full of people with your moves and passion for Mr. Roboto (Brendan, you know I’m talking about you). Thankfully, we found a bar that allowed us to give a public performance. And yes, we do have Friends in Low Places.

Capsule and Love Hotels

In a city that seems to never sleep, one of the surprising realities here is that the subway system closes early – as in before midnight in most cases. While we managed to run and make the last train on our first night out (check out the video below of the doors closing as we exit), we weren’t so fortunate last night. Thankfully, a whole industry caters to people who’ve missed their trains.

tokyo-day-2-3-114.jpgCapsule hotels – no frills stacked box rooms essentially like coffins – provide quick and easy overnightcapsule-hotel-box.jpg accommodation for men. And for couples, there are Love hotels – rooms of varying levels of cleanliness and sleaziness providing couples a private getaway – for a few hours or overnight – including all the entertainment and amenity options you could dream up, and some you wish you hadn’t. We had our own karaoke machine. And that’s probably all you need to know.

We’ve Seen the Future, and it is Loud. And a little odd.

It’s no surprise that Japan is the world leader in technology and electronics. In fact an entire neighbourhood here (Akihabara) is devoted to showing off  the latest toys and gadgets. From dancing MP3 players to ridiculously small cell phones to robots and toys you couldn’t even dream up, entire city blocks are filled with the latest and greatest. And in a city with no notion of noise pollution, said toys and electronics are all loudly on display. At the same time. The Sony Building spotlights the newest thing – or at least what will be the newest thing in 3 years when it gets to Canada and the US. We bought noise-canceling ear buds.

Maids1 tokyo-day-2-3-155.jpg

One of the big things in Akihabara is also maid cafes – cafes where young Japanese girls dress like maids and serve their masters while speaking in high-pitched shrill voices. While we haven’t figured out their appeal, there are well over 50 of these cafes in a small area, so someone must be enjoying them. We really are in bizarro-land folks.

maids3

 Department Stores

Move over Zellers and Sears: department stores in Japan make you look like nickel and dime corner stores. Providing way more than an opportunity to buy a lot of crap in one place, Tokyo department stores are an institution here – with massive fresh food and grocery stores on the bottom levels (think Whole Foods times 1000) and beer halls and entire restaurant floors on the top floors. And of course, you can still buy a lot of crap.



Tags:

One Response to “Random Tokyo Observations”

  1. jamie Says:

    Love hotels can be awesome if you take the time to seek out the kinkier themed ones… sadly a lot of them are being shut down now, but I have some photos of famous ones like the “hello kitty bondage room” here:

    http://www.lickmychopstick.com/love-hotel-photos/

Leave a Reply