BootsnAll Travel Network



More Random Tokyo Experiences

Tokyo is so overwhelming, that I’m having a hard time organizing my thoughts for the blog. And I’ve had to start carrying a notebook so that I don’t forget any of it.

RyokanOur Accommodations

When we first arrived in Tokyo, we stayed in a traditional ryokan – an old-school Japanese inn. Think tatami mats, a futon on the floor, cushions for sitting, sliding shoji screens and slippers. We’ve since moved to a boutique design hotel in the middle of the madness. And at 16,500 yen (that’s about $175 CDN), it’s 3 x 4 metres of luxury.

Umbrellas

A day of rain here has given me a new perspective on yet another Japanese cultural oddity – the umbrella. Everyone here carries one, without exception. And that can mean literally hundreds of umbrellas crossing the street at the same time at Shibuya crossing (that’s the crazy street crossing in Lost in Translation). The only way to avoid losing an eye is to do as the Japanese do – carry your umbrella low to protect your face, and be agressive. It’s really the only time I’ve seen them be anything but kind and respectful. And apparently, in a country with an extremely low crime rate (Japanese mafia activities not included), stealing umbrellas is totally ok. Oh and I can’t talk about umbrellas without mentioning the umbrella condoms – mandatory covers that you have to place on your umbrella before entering a store or restaurant.

 Urban Planning

Tokyo’s approach to urban planning, is, well, not to do it. This has resulted in a fascinating array of incongruent land use – temples next to concrete apartment buildings next to massive shopping malls next to tiny ramen noodle shops.

Face Masks

About 10% of the population here is wearing a face mask right now. While you might assume that it’s germ paranoia, in actuality, the people wearing the masks are the ones who are sick. The mask is a way of being respectful to others. Who knew?

Hachiko

There is a bronze statue of a dog at one of the main subway stations here. Hachiko was a loyal dog who went to the Shibuya station every day to greet his master. One day, his master left for work and passed away. Hachiko returned to the station to wait for his master every day – for 9 years!

Hachiko2 Hachiko

Not sure Brella would do the same. She’d be more likely to be the dog who ran and ran and ran for 9 years.

Bikes, Pedestrians and Sidewalks

In a city where most people travel by foot or bike, it’s amazing that there are so few sidwalks here. And unlike in Canada, where bikes are considered slow moving vehicles and share the road with cars, bikes here are fast pedestrians – so we all share the tiny sidewalks.  Thankfully, arrows and tape point us along our path – we wouldn’t want to be rude and walk on the right hand side of the path after all. And at crosswalks, everyone patiently waits for the light to switch – even if there are no cars in sight. No one would ever consider jaywalking here – it just wouldn’t be polite.



Tags:

Leave a Reply