BootsnAll Travel Network



Mitad del Mundo

 

No visit to Ecuador would be complete without a visit to the place where the middle of the world was declared, in 1736 . The equator, the widest part of the world, crosses only 7 countries.

The museum at the Mitad del Mundo strives to prove the power of the equator, through a bunch of experiments. Yes, the Coriolis Effect makes water run counter clockwise in the  northern hemisphere, and clockwise in the southern hemisphere, and straight down on the equator. Yes, centrifugal forces at the equator allow you to easily balance an egg on a nail (we have the certificates to prove it!). And best of all, yes you do weigh less at the equator…at last, a workable solution for the Brel travel weight gain!

Our only equator disappointment was in the weather…while the sun does shine directly down (i.e. no shadows), the 2,800 metre altitude means it´s still pretty darn cold.  

Egg ProofUltimate Weight Solution



Tags: ,

One Response to “Mitad del Mundo”

  1. Michael Says:

    Those are some totally neat facts Mel!! I would just love to see the water thing, i think that would make the whole trip worth it hehehe 🙂 Glad you guys are having fun!

Leave a Reply