BootsnAll Travel Network



Lonesome George

Mel hanging with a tortoise

The Galapagos Islands are famous for their giant tortoises – in fact they were named for them. Here you can see 200 kg tortoises measuring over 1 metre in length. Humans have not been kind to the tortoises over the centuries however (apparently they make good eatin´), and of the 14 species originally found on the islands, 4 are extinct in the wild.

Lonesome George is the last remaining tortoise from the island of Pinta. Thought to have been extinct in the early 1900´s, George was discovered during an expedition in 1971 and brought to the Charles Darwin Research Station. The survival of his species depends on finding George a mate, and for the past 37 years, researchers have been trying (unsuccessfully) to do just that. George can live to 200 years old, so there´s still hope for the survival of the Pinta Tortoise. Advances in science (specifically DNA) are providing new hope.

At about 85 years old, George has led a solitary life – he tends to withdraw from other tortoises and people. He´s even been the target of a kidnapping plot a few years ago, when sea cucumber fishermen were protesting government quotas.

We were lucky to see Lonesome George during our visit to the Darwin Research Station – he doesn´t often come out from under the bushes. The Darwin Centre does fantastic conservation work with other tortoises as well, and is the recipient of our Brel Drop in the Ocean donation this month.

Loneone George is a conservation icon – a constant reminder of the consequences of our actions.

Our first sighting of Lonesome GeorgeClose up of GeorgeGeorge meeting Brel

Close encounter with a tortoiseBreakfast!



Tags: ,

Leave a Reply