BootsnAll Travel Network



“I’m gonna soak up the sun…”


We’ve spent the last 3 nights at the very unique and posh Rancho Pacifico, located high on a seaside mountaintop, overlooking the Pacific Ocean. We likened spending time at RP to being invited to a friend’s – albeit a very, very rich friend’s – private estate. Our 1,400 square foot 2 bedroom villa, complete with private plunge pool, is also an occasional celebrity hangout – this blog’s title is not a coincidence.

RP’s resident howler monkeys were consistent with their 5:30 a.m. wakeup calls-while this hour was a challenge for the sleepy Mr. Powell, it was the perfect time to continue Operation Bird Discovery. Someone recently accused me of turning ‘birding’ into a corporate project – and I suppose the detailed plans, SMART goals and the Excel spreadsheet, might be evidence of that – I guess I haven’t really separated from my work persona just quite yet…) Nonetheless, we made significant progress on Operation Bird Discovery, with our new friend Jon from New York, and we’re able to spot the much-desired trogon birds, the aricari, and at long, long, last, the toucan. While I’d like to pretend we accomplished all of our early birding via strenuous daily hikes, truth be told, there was at least one morning where we birded from our terrace, in our plush robes, coffee in hand…

We continued our weekly spa treatment ritual, taking part in daily massages, body scrubs – and yes, Brendan even got a facial – see pic below.

Birding At the beach Hot-tubbing More birding

 Our magazine article on Rancho Pacifico has been published! Read the full article here.



Tags: ,

Leave a Reply