BootsnAll Travel Network



Uncle Chet’s Compound in Ubud

FOR THE BEGINING OF BALI SCROLL DOWN TO THE ENTRY ENTITLED ‘BALI’ ABOUT 6 STORIES DOWN

After the wedding festivities ended, the few Americans and an Ozzie moved up to Uncle Chet’s place in Ubud. It was yet another beautiful place set on top of a jungle instead of high above Montego Bay. For those of you that didn’t know me 7 years ago, much of the same crew that went to Ubud went to Jamaica for a huge week long let’s say party at Uncle Chet’s insane mansion high atop Montego Bay, Jamaica. Since I don’t have any pictures of Ubud with me, you can take a look at Uncle Chet’s Jamaican Palace at Silent Waters Once again my buddy Steven invited all of us to stay with him and generous as he is, treated us to a few days of luxury private villa service high in the hills of Ubud. There was only 1 small problem with the place. It only had satellite TV and in Bali, only the local SCTV air broadcast showed the World Cup games. I would have been completely happy to sit up there in the pool and watch 3 games a day while kicking back and trying to finish off 3 cases of Bintang Beer and the rest of the alcohol from the wedding with some of the best people in the world. After a couple nights up there, Steve and Colleen had to head back to the real world so I had to make a decision of whether to stay up in Ubud or head back to Bob and Denise’s insane 4 bedroom umm….. palace back in Jimbaran Bay at Karma Village so I could watch some World Cup matches. What a difficult decision to have to make! A private villa in Ubud or a 4 bdr villa in Jimbaran Bay???? I decided that I wanted to watch the world cup so we headed down to Karma Village. Here is a picture of me chillin by our pool Karma Pool I think it was a nice decision. The place was incredible! They had a compound with a kitchen, 4 rooms with their own indoor and out door baths, a giant TV room and best of all A LAUNDRY MACHINE, combo washer and dryer in one! Funny what backpackers get excited about, eh?

But I digress. The next day our driver came down to pick Antonia and I up to go back to Ubud. We decided to give the staff a break and go into town for dinner instead of having them have to cook for us. Now it’s funny. I’ve been traveling all through Asia staying in dorms and some really dodgy places and haven’t had any problems with losing stuff. So I consciously made the decision to leave over a million Rupiah in 2 seperate places in my luggage instead of carrying it with me. All the while thinking that the staff here have it so good that there’s no way they’d steal anything and risk getting fired. Boy was I wrong. I let my guard down for a second and 550 Rupiah go up in smoke! I actually couldn’t believe my eyes when I checked my cash stash the next day. Fortunately, Puri, the lady in charge of the staff paid me back and promised to investigate the “security” guard that most likely stole it. Whew! I really needed that 550K. It paid for my accomodation for the next two weeks on my favorite Island, Gili Trawangan. More on that to follow on that later….



Tags: ,

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *