BootsnAll Travel Network



I’m Marching in the Inaugural Parade!

Well, Dan and I will be traveling again in January.  No, we won’t be gone for five months again (although, that sounds like fun).  We’ll actually only be gone for about five days.  But, the event I’ll be participating in will be a momentous one — at many levels.

On January 20th, 2009, the United States of America will be swearing in a new president. But, this is not just the next president in a line of many — the 44th, to be exact.  This is a president in whom the American people have put their trust to take the country in a new, very different and much better direction than that of the previous eight years.  This is a president who understands that our relationships with countries around the world have suffered because of the arrogant, go-it-alone policies of the previous eight years.  This is a president who realizes the enormity of the climate change crisis.  This is a president who is determined to tackle the issue of our broken health care system, with its skyrocketing costs and high numbers of people who are uninsured.  This is a president who is committed to representing ALL Americans.  This will be the United States’ first black president.

OK, get to the punch…  I will be marching in Barack Obama’s Inaugural Parade!  I will be marching with the Lesbian and Gay Band Association (LGBA).  It will be the first time an openly gay group has marched in an inaugural parade.  We will be one of fewer than 50 marching bands chosen from nearly 1400 applying bands.  Here’s a link to an article by a local online news source.

The LGBA is a group consisting of gay marching and concert bands from around the country and the world.  I have been a member of our local band here in Minnesota called the Minnesota Freedom Band since 2002.  I first performed with the LGBA when our local band hosted the national group in 2003 and we marched in the Duluth/Superior Pride Parade and at the Minnesota State Fair.  In 2006, I performed with the group during Gay Games VII in Chicago.  “Team Band” performed a field show on Soldier Field for the opening ceremonies, a concert at the Pritzker Pavilion in Millennium Park, and during the closing ceremonies at Wrigley Field.  GGVII Photos  And, in October of this year (2008), I marched with the group in New York City’s Halloween Village Parade.  NYC Photos

When I found out that the LGBA had been invited to march in the parade (December 6), I was elated!  But, our marching contingent would be limited by parade organizers to 177 people.  I would need to register for one of these slots.  More precisely, I would need to register for one of the 17 percussion slots.  And, specifically, I was hoping to fill one of the eight snare drum positions because that’s what I usually play for marching.

Registering to secure a slot in the marching contingent was nerve-racking, with the large number of people trying to register on the originally-scheduled evening (December 9) crashing the registration website.  After hanging close to the computer for over an hour, organizers postponed registration until the following day (December 10), when they had each section of the band register at a different time over the course of the day (tubas at 11 am, percussion at noon, etc.).  I took an early lunch, told my boss that I would be registering to march in the Inaugural Parade at noon and asked not to be disturbed at this time; he was understanding.  Even after I finished the registration process online, I don’t think I got a whole lot done at work until I received the email confirming my place in the band.  I was IN!!

On Monday of this week (December 22) I received the link to download the music that we’ll be playing in the parade.  Here are the pieces:

1. Washington Post March – John Philip Sousa
2. Manhattan Beach March – John Philip sousa
3. Ode to Joy – Ludwig Van Beethoven, arr. Tom Wallace/Tony McCutchen
4. A Brand New Day, from The Wiz – Luther Vandross, arr. Victor Lopez/Anthony Falcone
5. Hold On I’m Comin’ – Isaac Hayes/David Porter, arr. Tom Wallace/Tony McCutchen

I’ve played Washington Post before, so I practiced and memorized that one and the other Sousa march on Tuesday.  The marches are straight-forward, but I’ll need to spend more of my time on the other three pieces, which are more complex.  Wednesday morning I was busy making pies for Christmas dinner at my parents’ home in Shakopee.  We traveled to Shakopee that afternoon and returned last night (Thursday).

This morning (Fri, 12/26) while waiting for my bread to rise/bake, I played through Brand New Day and Ode to Joy, working out some of the more difficult sections.  It’s looking like I’ll be spending the most time on Ode to Joy.

I’ll try to update this blog on my preparations and trip to DC.

Tim



Tags: , , , , , , ,

2 responses to “I’m Marching in the Inaugural Parade!”

  1. Ian says:

    Congratulations. That’s awesome, and definitely something to remember for your whole life. I’ll just be watching it on TV, and I feel lucky for that. To be there and participate is amazing.

  2. […] came across this blog, “Wandering Where I’ll Be, Tim and Dan, Here and There,” and it seems that Tim and Dan got to participate in […]

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *