BootsnAll Travel Network



I’m Alive! Aliiiiive!

Hi everyone!

Thanks for all your well wishes, I am sure they helped bring me back from the brink of death by phlegm.

Well, here we are, in Skradin Croatia. Its a sweet little town next to Krka National Park. We went into the park for a while today, and it was very pretty. Dont eat the food in there, though. Hamsa wanted a crepe, and we had to wait almost an hour for it (don’t ask) and when we finally got it, well, it sucked. It was the worst crepe ever. I had two bites of mine and stopped there. But Hamsa ate his, the whole damn thing. Then he spent the next hour looking for places to vomit.

But as all things must, the nausea ended and we were able to continue on into the park. To find out the boat excursion I wanted to go on had sold out while we were waiting for crappy vomit-inducing crepes. So, we just stuck to that part of the park  – Skradinski Buk. It’s a nice little area, full of waterfalls and lakes, a nice swimming area, and a very nice hiking trail. And the trail even had lots of those things I love – the signs with pictures and info about the local flora and fauna. I love educational trails, I really do!

And there was a little mock village with buildings representing how things were around here in the 19th century. My fave was the grain mill, which is still running, by the way. Today they were grinding corn. And there was a water-powered “washing machine” where 2 big wooden mallets bang on whatever you stick in there. And a working blacksmith. There was also a donkey, but I don’t know why he was there. He just stood around eating hay, and stared at the little kids who kept trying to feed him.

But the trail was my favorite part. It was very pretty, if crowded, and had many beautiful vista points where you could have many Kodak moments. Also, I saw tons of dragonflies! Blue ones! And green ones! And cobalt ones! And clear ones! I took like 200 pictures of them. I was in heaven. Ooo! And we saw snakes! Three different ones, and they were all different species, and they were in the same pool, fishing! They would go up for air, then go wrap around an underwater branch and wait for some unsuspecting little fish to swim by and…. STRIKE! We were mesmerized. We sat there for a long time. As people walked by, some would see what we were staring at and join us. Others couldn’t figure out what all the fuss was about. “Crazy Americans”

Speaking of, I haven’t met a single American in this area yet! The closest I’ve come is one Canadian. It’s kinda cool. Like we’re in some place that’s just too far out for our fellow Americans. There are many Germans. And Italians, Poles, and some Czechs. Lucky for us the world’s lingua franca is now English, or we’d be screwed. And eating octopus and tripe.

Being a vegetarian in Croatia isn’t so great. The big cities have a spot or two, but outside that its the standards: spaghetti, pizza, and salad if eating out; and from the market – fruit,  bread and cheese. You don’t know what I’d do for a tall glass of chocolate Silk right now!

So, back to the park… tomorrow I’m gonna drag my snarky teen out of bed bright and early so we can get in the park and get me those tickets!!! And no crepe will stand in my way ever again! I want to go see some castles, dang it!

Day after tomorrow, we head to Split. I’ll try to post from there. In the meantime, I hope all of you are doing well and keeping cool! I hear its an oven over there right now. I can’t relate, b/c it cooled off over here. It’s actually quite pleasant, with a nice sea breeze and a chill in the evening air. Ahhhh….



Tags: , , ,

2 responses to “I’m Alive! Aliiiiive!”

  1. Uncle Stephen says:

    I’m asking!! Why did you have to wait almost an hour for a crepe?

  2. Maggie says:

    Haiyu!! I MISS YOU GUYS!! We went to Dragon Con!! you wouldve loved it! 🙂

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *