BootsnAll Travel Network



Dispatch from the Road

Hi everybody!

Well, I just wrote a brilliant, funny post, and this darn computer ate it! GRRRR! I want my MacBook!

So, feeling a bit disgruntled, here is a shorter, less brilliant, and less funny post:

Ahem

Well, its been a whirlwind few days. When I last posted we were in Madrid. We had only one day there, but we really liked it. We had a few stops to make, so we rode around on the subway and walked the streets. And everytime we pulled out our touristy city map, or paused on the subway to ponder the system map, someone would approach us and offer help. And not in the “let me distract you while my cohort picks your pocket” kind of way, either. Like, genuine, friendly help! In a big city! Have you ever?

So, we went to some outdoorsy shops – hamsa needed new shoes and a new backpack. Why? Because he keeps growing! I asked him to stop, its a very expensive habit, but you know how stubborn he is. Then we strolled, ate, went to the most amazing chocolateria, strolled again, until 1 am (the whole city is out for evening promenade until quite late). Then we rode the subway back to the airport and crashed there. We felt safe the whole time, until around 3:30 am.

We had pulled out our air mattresses and sleeping bags, and set up a little nest, like so many other travelers at the airport. I was dreaming about a little redheaded girl riding a tricycle, I remember that. And then there was this screaming. This YELLING! I need a bigger font to fully represent the volume of this screeching blonde banshee of a nutjob. I started to wake up, I looked around and saw all of the other people had woken up too, and were staring at her, and Hamsa, all bloodshot and bleary-eyed, was looking at her with complete confusion, and I looked at her with a true WTF face, and that’s when I realized, my god, she’s yelling – at – us ! I tried to understand her Slavic words, no luck there, maybe it’s my boots? I mean, they really do smell now, quite offensive to strangers, I’m sure. And they were parked right there next to me, in the open, green fumes emanating at full speed. But she wasn’t pointing at them, so, no. Maybe Hamsa was snoring again? Hmmm…. a distinct possibility. Her friend was trying to pull her away from us. Hamsa looks at me – with his WTF face. I say, “She’s crazy, honey. Don’t look her in the eye, she’ll take that as a sign of aggression!” Then I put my hands over his ears, and he put his head back down, and we just ignored her. She finally went away, yelling all the way. You could still hear down in the next concourse, her shrill discourse echoing against the empty airport hallways.

We moved our nests to a new, quieter spot, lest she return to spit on us. Then we slept like little lambs until I woke up at 7am, to the sight of a group of guys walking by outside, looking at us through the windows, making me feel a little bit like a zoo exhibit. “North American Female and Child”  the sign reads. Anyhoo, we stuffed our stuff into our packs, then stumbled on to our 8am flight to Bologna.

I sat next to a really great guy, and he advised me as to the best gelato shop in Florence. So, guess where we went yesterday? And, I must say, it was indeed quite good. But I digress… We had a day in Bologna. The highlight for me was walking the sacred ground of the world’s oldest university. I felt smarter just from being there. Yup, I got some brains on me now! We saw some exhibit was open, so we went in, for the A/C as much as for the exhibit. And it was actually quite cool. It was part of the collection of some Italian guy, considered the father of modern Natural History. And he collected some mighty weird stuff, let me tell ya, well preserved for almost 500 years. Some of the specimens were called “monsters” !!! Then we walked around, looked at historically significant structures, I liked the fountain with Neptune at the top, and all the nymphs at his feet with water spurting out of their nipples! It was centuries old, but that water was still just spurting away! Italians are so cool.

So, we caught a train to Firenze, and here we are. We walked the city, climbed a mountain to find a campground, and right near the top we could see the campground below us, so we walked back down, only to find we were circling the mountain, and the campground, and we had to walk back up the mountain again, this time our legs were trembling and our backs aching, and I was a sweat monster, pity all those downwind of me, but we made it to the top and saw the entrance to the campground (they call them “campings” over here.) The best part was when we realized that when we had turned around and gone back down the mountain, we had only been like 50 feet away from the entrance. It had been my choice to turn around, so you can guess how Hamsa felt about me as we climbed the damn mountain for the second time. But it’s a new day today, and he loves me again.

We really like the camping, its a very friendly, relaxed spot, on a conservation ground, with birds singing, and a really spectacular view over the city. And its the cheapest spot in town! They have one in Roma, too, so I think we’ll stay there next week.

We ate at Pizzacheria last night. Easily some of the best pizza I have ever tasted. The rest of the family arrives in 4 days, and we will try to get them to come try this place. It’s a little hole-in-the-wall joint, with a lone cook, just a few tables, lots of locals, short menu and great prices. God, I’m droooooling just thinking about it.

Yeah, I gotta go now. I gotta go get some more of that pizza. And that gelato. Don’t worry, I won’t get fat again. I am walking like 50 miles a day. And up mountains. Twice!

We love you all, and remember to check below for the Ludwig quizzes! It makes Hamsa’s day when y’all guess!

Ciao!



Tags: , ,

One response to “Dispatch from the Road”

  1. Ethan says:

    Great description of your adventure in camping and hiking and double mountain climbing. We especially loved the part about the nipples squirting water. Had Ethan ROTFLOL. As Homer Simpson would say, “mmmm, gelato.” Enjoy the wedding!

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *