BootsnAll Travel Network



Only in Asia

We’ve seen a lot of interesting things these last 6 months in India and Southeast Asia. I’m beginning to wonder if there is anything left that could shock us.  For example, Fabien and I were walking along the bank of the Mekong yesterday in Vientienne (the capital of Laos) and he pointed to people in the traditional conical straw hats and marvelled that they were farming in the center of the capital.  It is hard to imagine someone plowing a field on Ile Saint Louis in Paris or planting cabbage on the national mall in front of the Washington Monument in Washington D.C. 

Two days ago when we came from Vang Vieng, we were carrying a very seriously ill man in the truck with us.  We expected to  take him straight to a hospital, but the driver kept motioning for more people to get in, making a very uncomfortable situation for everyone and slowing us down, considerably.  No one was phased.

Sometimes the things we see seem frustratingly wrong, but other times they are comical.  When we took the bus from Luang Nam Tha to Oudomxai, a group of young guys boarded the bus dressed in red caps and t-shirts that had a logo, NUMBER 1, printed on it.  When we pulled out of the bus station, one of the guys started giving a speech.  The people listened intently, first laughing nervously, and then some breaking out into hysterical laughter.  Hmmm, it must be good, I wonder what they are selling. Then they started passing out red boxes with their logo; they were marketing condoms.  “Social advertising for health.” I was amazed and impressed in such an outwardly conservative society.



Tags: ,

One response to “Only in Asia”

  1. Mom says:

    Hey kids, having trouble with new computor and my old email. will write to you tomorrow through my hotmail. Pictures are GREAT!!!!
    Love you lots….mom

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *