BootsnAll Travel Network



Karlovy Vary, Czech Republic

Greetings from Karlovy Vary, Czech spa town and home of the infamous Czech, herbal liquor, Becherovka.

Hmmm, a lot has happened since I wrote last Thursday. Where to begin…two of our best friends got married, and man did they throw a party. The ingredients for a perfect party: 15 or so of your best expat friends, 20+ crazy Swiss people and Czech wedding customs which include breaking plates and kidnapping the bride and holding her ransom until the groom finds her and the kidnappers and pays their enormous bar tab.
I took about 150 pictures from this beautiful event and I’m going to share them with all of you as soon as I find a place to post them. (See post “Pictures from Eddy and Marketa’s Wedding”)

Next bit of news, we have inherited a car. We actually have a secondary profession (primary is World Traveler Extraordinaire), second is car deliverers. Conor had decided to leave Prague to move to the U.A.E. and he needed someone to deliver his car back to Slovenia. So, things worked out perfectly, we needed transport to Slovenia, he needed someone to drive the car. Having a car has added a little flexibility to our schedule and we have decided to give camping a try. This morning we bought a tent for 450 CZK, that’s about 20 bucks. I hope it doesn’t rain.

More news…Kristin and Joe (more Praguers) have decided to quit their jobs and run away with us. We are picking them in Plzen tomorrow and heading to Cesky Krumlov, a small town in the southwestern part of Czech Republic; they will ride with us through Austria to Slovenia and after that…

So today was the first real day of travelling for us (after Prague) and we spent most of the afternoon looking for the campground. But we were rewarded when we arrived in Karlovy Vary, which is a charming little town. We had time to take a walk through town and check out all of the sanatoriums, spas, health centers and the funny little fountains spewing healing mineral waters. Then we had a typical Czech meal, gulash (my favorite) and beer, perfect before a cold night in the tent.

Fabien and I didn’t plan to spend much time visiting the Czech Republic in this trip, but it’s so difficult to leave. I think I have a life-long love affair with this country. So many wonderful memories of living in Prague. Last night, we visited our friends Jasmina (from Serbia) and Mirek (her Czech husband) for dinner. We also had the pleasure of seeing their wedding pictures (they were married in February.) Maybe we will live in Prague again some day, but at least I know I will always have a reason to visit.

So, tomorrow we’ll visit the Pilsner Urquell brewery in Pilzen and then had south to Cesky Krumlov.
I’ll get some pictures up soon.



Tags: ,

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *