BootsnAll Travel Network



Sikkim

Cathy gave us a travel agent to contact once in Gangtok. We arrived at one in the afternoon and by the end of the day, Mr. T. Dorji had put a trek together for us, starting the following morning.

sign

We drove up with Bhaichung, our 27 year-old guide and Suresh, our 31-year old chef. The rest of the crew was found in Yuksom, our first destination and the end of riding in the jeep.

2nd bridge

Early the next morning we started our trek. Six porter accompanied us; not yaks – they were all spoken for. We birded up the trail, getting passed by all the pack animals and most of the people trekking.

going up - yaks

A hot lunch was prepared for us along the way. The first of many delicious and amazing meals by Suresh(on the right) and his helper.

1st lunch

Trongsa was our fist camp. To acclimate, we stayed 3 nights. Also, to bird. Reaching the camp gave us our first glimpse of the snowcapped peaks.

camp-Trongsa

First real views of the peaks.

first views

Friends we made from Bangkok provided us with essentials we were rumming low on (very important: batteries for our camera).

BKK sams

What follows are photos of the rest of the trek.

A meal (for Tom) papadums, wonton soup, apple pie for dessert (there is no oven)

papadums wonton apple pie

close up rhodo

o-h gf orange-headed bfold chorten

On the way to Dzongri; old chorten made of rough rocks in back.

Dzongri view

View from 4300 meters (Kanchenzonga, the 3rd highest peak in the world, at over 8,000 meters, is in there). Dzongri view

KhanchendzongaK3

Views as we hiked toward Thansing; we hiked down to the river. The field was our destination and was to be the base for hiking to the highest pass, Goechala (over 17,000 ft.).
views on the way to Tanshing

After an evening of thunder and lightning in the distance, we awoke to a changed world.

storm

Throughout the day the storm gave hints of breaking, so we waited optimistically. That is our tent in the foreground. The porters kept brushing the snow off.
1st snows

The view downvalley during a break in the snow.

storm views

Rosy pipits were our camp companions.r pipit

bundled

We bundled up (I wrapped my feet in plastic bags inside my hiking boots) and all trudged down, on the 3rd day, in driving snow and wind.

We gradually left the bad weather, slipping on the melting snow which turned the trail into something like a mini-Maine-mudseason. We turned around when we got back to Trongsa and saw this.
looking back up

The next day we hiked down to Yuksom a couple of days ahead of schedule. Found out later it was a good decision as the snows did not let up for another two days.

On our last big hike before leaving this area we almost lost Howie on a short cut down to the road. He was on the narrow trail behind Bai Chung, the guide and I was behind him when all of a sudden he went off the trail to the right, head first. Before I could react I saw his feet go over his head and it looked like he was starting to gain momentum. When he realized that he was not just going to land but tumble, he grabbed the vegitation and came to an abrupt halt. Bai Chung jumped down to save him, not even looking to see what was below. Luckily no one was hurt. It happend so fast! The steepness of the dropoff was hidden by the growth, which also hid the hole Howie stepped in.

Other than that, the trip was uneventful.

the crew

On our last night we showed the gang the photos of our trek and they made us a cake we shared sll around.



Tags:

3 Responses to “Sikkim”

  1. tracy Says:

    this one looks a lot like the trip we just finished with Cathy and Jon in western sichuan. We could not have bewen more than a few hunred miles apart

  2. Posted from United States United States
  3. Rachana Says:

    Hi there…
    We are planning a similar trek from Gangtok / Yuksom and back in end September…we are stil in process of contacting various treking agencies thorugh our sources…
    I was wondering if you recommend the agency that you went through and if you could provide their contact details..
    Wonderful photographs by the way…after our Gangotri trek last year i cannot wait for this year’s trek… 🙂

    Thanks!
    Regards,
    Rachana.
    P.S. you may mail me on mallyarachana@gmail.com

  4. Posted from India India
  5. Cecilia Says:

    Hi there,

    We are hoping to arrange a trek this december. Your experience looks fantastic. I am wondering if you have the trek agency’s contact?

    Thanks.

    Regards,

    Cecilia

  6. Posted from Singapore Singapore

Leave a Reply