BootsnAll Travel Network



Lia Suhn Hao-y Phnom Penh

Good Bye Phnom Penh

sidewalk

This afternoon we leave town on a big air-conditioned bus. We had not expected to stay this long in Phnom (you do pronounce the ‘p,’ ‘h’ indicates an expulsion of air and is never pronounced unless it stands alone as a consonant, as in the 3rd word above: howie) Penh but circumstances dictated a change in plans.

museum

We had one more outing: a visit to the National Museum, a short walk away. We never got to the killing fields or the zoo, which were recommended by several friends. There is a possibility we will return, either in April, for another week in the Cardamoms with CI or May, to work with WCS. Also, Howie’s CV is being passed around by a health concern which has offices all over Asia.

museum courtyardelephant

Some of the sights in Phnom Penh:

phone

Ubiquitous phone booths: sometimes land lines, sometimes mobile phones are used. The booths are not used—they’re more like advertising signs. The numbers indicate the prefixes served. This is around the corner from our apt. and we also buy our water there.

Tuk-tuk: means of transportation we took for two of our birding outings. Horn is the name of our favorite tuk-tuk driver. Anyone wanting to bird the areas around Phnom Penh can use him, as he now knows where to go. Locals use motos (in the background), rather than tuk-tuks, as they are 1/3rd the cost. The car is a Gold, made in Korea.

veggie

Krama: Cambodian multi-purpose scarf or wrap (see head wrap). Men use it when bathing in public. Mostly, we saw this in the countryside but I saw one fellow standing in front of his house all lathered up with the karma around his waist, keeping him modest.

meat

Markets like this one seem to crop up all over town. One is the Russian, where mostly clothing is sold. The one near us has a lot of beauty-parlor stalls. The central market sells everything. All of them include food. And rats. Good though.

fish

This photo of Howie’s lunch today is for Tom. It’s fresh water fish steamed in a coconut milk sauce with small amounts of hot pepper and other subtle spices. Yum!

dish

This was taken on my birthday. Jake and Anthony (sitting) are friends from CI. Happy birthday to all my fellow Februarians.

birthday



Tags: , , , ,

8 Responses to “Lia Suhn Hao-y Phnom Penh”

  1. Cathie and Mike Says:

    First, happy birthday Karen, a week late! What a gift this adventure seems to be. Thanks for all the blogs and great pictures. I have the illusion of warmth as I read them, and start drooling for the good fresh food. If Howie had trouble on that motorcycle ride, you can imagine how I would have done…but I guess you just do it. You’ll have a lot to teach us if we make it over there. Re PP,to see a prison like that made from a school, shows how tenuous any of our freedoms are.
    Keep writing and enjoying. Cathie

  2. Posted from United States United States
  3. Bruce and Michele Says:

    Happy birthday! Keep the food photos coming! bruce.

  4. Posted from United States United States
  5. Lisa Says:

    Great photos and blogs! It appears that you are really enjoying yourselves,was there ever any doubt that you wouldn’t?Many patients are asking about you–we all miss you!!I will continue to follow your journey,stay safe. Lisa

  6. Posted from United States United States
  7. gerry weinberger Says:

    3/7 = happy belated birthday Karen. I just love reading your episodes – keep ’em coming. Neale sends her best, as do I.

    gerry

  8. Posted from United States United States
  9. Jon and Joan Says:

    Jo passed on your blog site. We are enjoying it immensely, and are laughing at some of your adventures- and envious of the exotic food and atmosphere. Travel safely and remember your big birthday, Karen, in Quebec.

  10. Posted from United States United States
  11. Darwin Sumang Says:

    Hi guys,nrThat wonderful experiences and the marvelous pictures you’ve made. Nice treavel in Borneo.Thanks

  12. Posted from Indonesia Indonesia
  13. Emily Says:

    Beautiful photos, Cambodia looks amazing. I heard about the krama on Samantha Brown (http://www.affordablescarves.com/blog/samantha-browns-self-defense-scarf/), how interesting to see how the locals use it in so many different ways!

  14. Posted from United States United States
  15. Home Brewing Guide Says:

    Great article. We retweeted on our Twitter.

  16. Posted from Thailand Thailand

Leave a Reply