BootsnAll Travel Network



Sanmiguelada – Mexican Running of the Bulls

The sleepy city of San Miguel de Allende, Guanajuato, Mexico comes to life every third Saturday of September with the Pamplonada – the running of the bulls. Started in 1973 and styled after the famous annual Pamplona, Spain event, San Miguel hosted their bull run yesterday.

Sanmiguelada

What it’s About…

Unlike the Pamplona, Spain event, the bulls in San Miguel are not killed afterwards. But, there is still some controversy. Locals complain that the yearly event is little more than a drugs, booze, and sex affair among the some 20,000 tourists (mostly young Mexicans) who come. In past years, the bull run resulted in hundreds of injuries – mostly from drunken partygoers stumbling over each other. It’s rare that anyone is actually gored.

20,000 young, drunk, drugged up young people having a lot of sex. No controversy here…I’m off to the next event! 🙂

The city authorities in recent years have applied ley seca (dry laws), where alcohol is prohibited from being sold or consumed in public. This has apparently resulted in fewer injuries, though most people, aware of the dry laws, bring their own party favours from outside the city.

Sanmiguelada San Miguelitas

Full of surprises is Mexico. I’ll be looking for new events to cover in future blog entries…hopefully podcasting from one!



Tags: , , ,

2 responses to “Sanmiguelada – Mexican Running of the Bulls”

  1. ashley says:

    supppp 🙂

  2. ashley says:

    I HATE THIS BULLING OF U RUN…

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *