BootsnAll Travel Network



Soaking on sand

What to do for three days on a big rainy island?

1. Hang around my guesthouse taking pictures of myself.

2. ummmm…

rainbeach.jpg

I was settling into Bangkok but I want to keep moving for a little while longer to completely use up my bank account! Yesterday morning I got up after a really fun night with my new adopted cousin Jeremy/Victoria Beckham? and his highschool friends. Fortunately I woke up and found a bus to Ko Chang.

Ko Chang is a large island made up of one big national park. Soon the government will support its transformation into an upscale eco-vacation resort but right now you can find all sorts of accomodation. Everyone’s guidebook lists Treehouse Guesthouse on Lonely Beach.

I spent last night there and stepped outside this morning to find a huge beach swing. I was swinging out over the ocean as the sun rose when my naked neighbor leaned outside to throw up on the rocks. I was kind of interested yet soon found another house about 1km away from everyone. I support beachbarfing but I’m in the last leg of my trip and want somewhere to sit, swim, enjoy. I feel old.

Bas checked me into my new accomodation further down the beach where there’s actually sand. “Where can I rent kayak?” I asked her. “No no, kayak bad, weather bad” she replied. “When kayak ok?” “Maybe three day.” The Bangkok Post predects three days of rain – then I leave for the city again to fly back over the ocean. I have a lot of time to think about what going home means.

I stepped into my new guesthouse and took a shower. Then I scribbled over the 4 in “George W. fights 4 freedom” on the wall. Then the place started to feel like home. That’s good because I’m probably going to spend 3 days in here. I like rain; it calms down my brain, mellows me out, and makes me feel cozy.



Tags: , ,

One response to “Soaking on sand”

  1. mamad says:

    Am once again amazed at the territory you’ve covered. Sounds like it may be a good thing to have some decompression time on the way back. So sorry it is raining, though it sounds like you are making the best of that, too. I sat on the back porch today and the sun actually SHONE on me and I decided I had been getting a good case of June seasonal affective disorder, and that was the cure I needed. Happy Victoria Day!! Looking forward to talking wih you very soon!

    Love you!
    mamad

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *