BootsnAll Travel Network



Slowing down

I arrived to Bangkok early in the morning last week and caught the skytrain to my favorite hostel. It was an hour before check-in so I dumped my backpack in the hall and took a shower, ate their free breakfast, then checked in and fell fast asleep in the dorm.

“Are you alright?” the girl in the bed next to mine had a Swedish accent.

“mmmf, what time is it?” I said wiping some drool off my cheek.

“you’ve been sleeping all day, it’s 7…”

Sometimes when I’m traveling I feel a lot of pressure to seize every moment and discover something new every day. Sometimes I just need to sleep. I dragged myself out of bed and went out to find dinner withAnna from Sweden, Yuko from Japan, and Janna from Germany. We found a local restaurant across Sukumvit road and I practiced ordering in Thai which was hysterical to not only our waitress but to my new friends as well, I think I impressed them.

The next day I met up with Rita who is Lawnin’s wife – I have to thank Joan from Norwich again for connecting me with such a nice family. Rita picked me up at my hostel and made me invite the entire dorm room out for lunch. Then her son Jeremy took us to his friend Bobby’s pool for the afternoon. Jeremy had to leave so Bobby took three of us out for the largest meal of Sushi I’ve ever finished. We all went for massages and Bobby drove us back to our hostel. The following day I spent in bed with another fever, and at the hospital for another malaria test (still negative mom – don’t worry!). I hadn’t been sick since leaving the states and so something must have caught up with me.

Rita works as a visiting personal nurse for the Redcross. She is connecting me with a lot of interesting places to visit including an orphanage in Bangkok but everything takes longer in South East Asia so I have about a week to kill before the visits begin. What to do? …



Tags: , ,

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *