BootsnAll Travel Network



Brave new technology.

If you are born in, let’s say Dadaab, Kenya, and then end up in Burlington, Vermont at age six, chances are you will be offered some catch-up vaccinations.  These might include a series of 4 DTaP (diphtheria, tetanus, and pertussis), 3 IPV (inactive polio vaccine), 3 Hep B, 1 Varicella (chicken pox), and 2 MMR (measles, mumps, and rubella).  Before I left to travel I worked as a medical assistant in a pediatric office and gave a lot of these make-up vaccines.  After injecting these brave little kids I’d slap on four small caucasian-colored bandaids.

A few days ago I came down with a fever and found myself at the Chiangmai Ram hospital for a malaria test where they have already installed brave new anti-racist technology (i.e. clear bandaids).  Because the malaria test came back negative I ran joyfully out of the hospital and spent the next week in Chiangmai learning how to cook and learning a few Thai phrases. 

chiangmaidish2.JPG   chiangmaidish1.JPG king wish leaves.JPG 

This month all of Thailand celebrated the 60th anniversary of His Majesty King Bhumibol Adulyadej’s accension to the throne.  The Thais showed their loyalty to the king by doning bright yellow polo shirts all month.  Yellow is the color of King Adulyadej’s birthday day – a Monday. 

The following Monday I caught the overnight bus back to Bangkok with plans to volunteer and chill for a few weeks before returning to the states on July 5th.



Tags: , , ,

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *