BootsnAll Travel Network



365 days on the road (Post #128.5)

We are back in Guayaquil, Ecuador after our Galapagos trip and are leaving for Riobamba tomorrow morning.

We have officially been travelling for over one year now! Just nine days left before re-entry to the U.S.!

Mike writes…

I am looking forward to being back in the states. Long-term travelling is like running ultras (ultramarathons) which is like life which is like running ultramarathons. A person has to push through the lows in order to coast through the highs. For the first 2 months, travelling was new and exciting and the countries we visited were relatively easy to travel through. Months 3-7 (more or less) were difficult for me and more than once i came close to booking myself a flight home. After that, i kind of settled into the traveller´s lifestyle and things became easier. Now, i´m ready for everyday tasks (like eating a square meal) to be simpler.

hell?

Michele writes…

I have loved the trip from the beginning and will be sorry to see it end. I really enjoy the challenges that life throws at you as an independent traveler and the sense of accomplishment when you figure something out (or think you´ve figured something out!) Traveling for one year has allowed me to feel the excitement of arriving in a new city, the thrill of experiencing new cultures and exotic foods, and the wonderment and awe of visiting a place that I´ve read about and longed to visit for years. This isn´t to say it´s been fun every day of the year. There have been days that have really sucked and we´ve lowered our standards tremendously in terms of the food we eat and the places we´re willing to stay (cold water showers and roaches, anyone?) Mike and I have stuck together through the fun and exciting times and the trying, difficult days.

I feel very fortunate to have had the opportunity to take this trip of a lifetime and if I had a million dollars I would do it again (although not right away!) For me, the rewards and benefits have far outweighed the stresses and trials we´ve endured.

I guess I should probably start thinking about getting a job, finding a place to live, buying a car, getting a cell phone, filing taxes, and last but certainly not least, getting my hair highlighted!



Tags:

3 responses to “365 days on the road (Post #128.5)”

  1. Mike says:

    You guys are awesome! I can only imagine it all! Looking forward to seeing you guys here in Oregon. We will definitely have to go for a trip to the coast and/or to the Gorge, and drink some good local beers to your Global Wanderings. I can’t wait to catch up with you guys.

    Mike

  2. Kerry Owens says:

    Wow, that’s amazing that it’s been a year now. Enjoy every last minute of it! Warn me before you work your way back to the East coast so I can stock up on the red wine 🙂

  3. Rich Priddy says:

    You guys rock. Congratulations on surviving the whole year, and not even getting kidnapped once! We’re also all impressed / pleased that you didn’t get bird flu or Ebola.

    The newts miss you!

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *