BootsnAll Travel Network



Tuesday the 12th, Part II: So this is what the cool kids do…

I returned to Nagoya, feelin’ fresh with the new haircut.  But I’ve been getting bored of the same shirt I’ve been wearing for the last few months, so I was eager to find a new one.  Osu is the district renowned for vintage/used clothing shops and other cheap shopping, so I set off in that direction.  

I took the subway to Osu station and started walking the way I saw the most shops.  Back down an alleyway I found an out of place red staircase leading out of the city streets into Osu Kannon temple.  Ahhh… I really think I’ve already seen enough shrines and temples to last a lifetime, but I still ventured upwards.  Past the flight of steps, and through a short hallway, I emerged into the main shrine.  Dusk was setting in, and the courtyard looked particularly beautiful.

I began to reach for my camera so I could take a few shots, but a call of “Konichiwa” (Hello!) resonated from behind me.  I turned to find three Japanese punk rockers sitting on the steps smoking cigarettes.  I returned a greeting and got pulled into conversation.  Definitly have a long way to go, but I’m at the point where I can communicate basic ideas in Japanese.  It also helps that most people here know a few words of English too.

They were thrilled to find out I was a musician, and we ended up talking for a couple hours.  I was probed with questions about what I’ve eaten and experienced during my travels in this country.  After finding out that I had never done Japanese Karaoke or tried the local culinary specialty, misokatsu (deep fried pork cutlet with miso sauce), they invited me out for the night.

There is not much to say about the dining experience, other than the food is simply delicious!  The miso soup I’ve had in America has been less than impressive, and I’ve really been enjoying the superior quality I’ve found in Tokyo.  However, the miso soup I had at this restaurant in Nagoya was outright phenomenal!  Definitely one of the most delicious foods I’ve had in my life!

Next, Okuri, Oku, and Watebe brought me to a Karaoke parlor in Sakae.  I noticed that we only walked for twenty minutes to get there and realized how much money was being wasted on ¥250 subway hops, when everything worthwhile in this city is easily in walking distance.  We entered the building, took the elevator to the fourth floor, and were amazed to find that we had the only room with a window.  It happened to overlook the Ferris wheel of the building next door, who’s blue glow set a perfect ambience for the evening!

We spent a good two hours loosening up with shochu in a box and poorly singing our hearts out.  It was hard to get started, but after the first song I lost the initial shyness.  They were so happy to hear the songs karaoked in “proper English”, and made a list of requests.  I ended up butchering a few songs by the Red Hot Chili Peppers, Offspring, Billy Idol, and Michael Jackson before attempting to sing them a song by The Killers.

At one point Oku and Watabe sang a duet of the Pokemon song which said the word Pokemon over a thousand times.  I busted out The Police’s Roxanne in retaliation and got them singing along.  Before the night was over, Oku started the ‘Pink Lady’ tracks. These particular songs are a combination of dance moves and singing.  They are definitely targeted toward girls, so it was unbelievably hysterical to see him performing along side the costumed dancers on TV.

Maybe it’s just the quality of the companionship, but I had an amazing time belting out songs that I barely knew.  The sightseeing and photography I did earlier in the day was fun, but I am a social animal at heart.  I think I was craving a bit of companionship after leaving all of my friends in Tokyo a few days ago, and this definitely was the cure.

 

 

.



Tags: , , , , , ,

3 responses to “Tuesday the 12th, Part II: So this is what the cool kids do…”

  1. Sharon Shane says:

    So…I guess having been waylaid into the Karaoke lounge you never got that new shirt? You could have always traded your shirt with one of the kids…I can just see you now wearing the yellow Sex Pistols shirt. lol

    Mom

  2. Mihye says:

    Good to hear that you’ve been cured by getting what you’d been missing since leaving Tokyo.

    You are still far too behind and I really hope it is a good sign to show that you’ve been staying the nights at a proper place not at the narrow chairs in the internet cafe.

    Still so anxious to know how you finally got to Osaka…

    Take care!

  3. george says:

    the food sounds awesome, its incredible to me how much americans can fuck up something as simple as miso soup ( i make a great one by the way).
    i have been studying Vietnamese food alot and am waiting to read about your adventures there sometime soon.
    i miss the hell out of you brotha.
    be well and keep living this great life we all have!!!!!!!!
    -george.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *