BootsnAll Travel Network



Still in Osaka…

I have been fortunate enough to work with some extremely talented musicians here in Osaka.  The regulars at Ground Zero have been a great pleasure to play with.  I can pretty much just stop by whenever I have the urge, and I usually get ushered to the drum kit for a couple hours of high energy rock and blues jams.  I also had an interesting session with Yoshitake Expe, the famous Japanese space guitarist.

Expe’s style is very unique.  He starts with a collection of effects pedals numbering in the triple digits.  The first sounds slightly resemble guitar, but quickly take a crazy detour into another realm of sonic landscapes.  The way he manipulates sound is fantastic.  Playing with no shoes on, he has the freedom to tweak the FX controls with his toes to conjure up a very dynamic and complex wall of sound.  It was definitely an exciting experience, but a bit tricky to follow along when he nonchalantly slipped into a few odd time signatures.   

Sml speaker listen to a song from the Expe jam Sml speaker

Later that night, I found my self at Ground Zero to get some practice with Rubie and Ochi before our recording session in a couple days.  After a combined 6 hours of drumming I was a bit worn out and went across the hall to relax with some darts and foozball action at O’sho’s.  When Thursday rolled around, we cleared Ground Zero and set up recording gear.  It may be some time before I get to a computer where I can mix and edit the work we did, but we definitely got a few really cool songs tracked.


R.I.P. Red Spalding ATH-432

A bunch of other cool things have happened recently, as well as some odd ones.  Today, the bike I’ve been using got ripped off.  I wasn’t sure why somebody would make the effort to cut the lock of a beat up bike with a crooked back tire and no brakes.  Later, when I told Hugh about his bike missing he explained how it was probably the police.  Apparently it is pretty much illegal to park your bike just about anywhere, but you still see seas of them lining every street.  These “police” like to impound bikes every so often in order to extort money.  I guess it was just dumb luck that they chose mine.  Hugh said they actually did him a favor putting the poor thing out of its misery because he was getting sick of storing the old piece of junk.  

Oh well, it’s back to the subways for me… but not for long.  This week I head down to Fukouka for a couple days before a whole new set of adventures in Korea.  

Ahh… Osaka!  I’ve been here for a month and I’m gonna miss ya’!  I’ve found every style of music here!  I’ve found talent as well as complete lack thereof.  Every night I’ve been either playing drums or meeting cool people.  One way or another I seem to be ending up with a bit too many free drinks from people impressed by the music or just wanting to practice their English.  My liver is taking a beating. Since it is now my last week in Japan there is more pressure to live fast paced and squeeze every last drop of enjoyment out of my visa and bottle of shochu.

After all of the ties I’ve made here and in the rest of Japan, it’s going to be difficult uprooting and getting back into the traveling life again.  Alas, that is the life of a vagabond.  It’s as rewarding as it is confusing, but it’s always an adventure and a challenge.  

     

.



Tags: , , , , ,

One response to “Still in Osaka…”

  1. george says:

    well i have to say that the life you have lived the past month was not so far from what you left behind. remember that as you move onward and as always please take wonderful photos. the audio files i could get to play seemed to cut off at odd points but sounded fun none the less, and i am looking forward to hearing full recording.
    either way, my great traveling friend, be well and know you are in our thoughts as you find new and great places.
    all the love and respect in the world from Philadelphia.
    -george and kelly.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *