BootsnAll Travel Network



Pleasure Gardens

One unexpected delight that I’ve found most enjoyable about Tokyo is the various pleasure gardens scattered throughout the metropolis.  I’m not talking about a mere public park or the stereotypical Zen rock garden.  Rather the scenic, nature sanctuaries, secluded from the chaos outside the walls that protect them.  Today, Mihye and I met again to spend the afternoon visiting two of the most famous.   

Our first stop was the Imperial Palace East Garden.  Seated in central Tokyo, surrounded by a broad moat, and hidden behind large stone fortifications is the old entrance to the palace.  Past samurai guardhouses and more stone walls, we emerged into a large nondescript field.  Except for the tall walls, wide-open spaces, and occasional building there wasn’t too much to see.  Reading the markers at least gave us better insight into the function and significance of the designed.  It was ultimately designed to prevent intrusion, not to inspire awe in visitors.

We started back towards the main gate and fortunately found a few redeeming qualities on the way out.  The highlights were a waterfall fed pond surrounded by freshly blooming violets and a grove of every tree collected throughout the empire.  Still, the place felt a little boring and we weren’t impressed enough to linger.  Can’t really complain about the free admission, but it is well worth it to pay the $2 to visit the garden we went to next.

Click here for more photos of the Imperial Palace East Garden  

Koishikawa Korakuen is located in Iidabashi; still central Tokyo, but far enough away from the typical tourist attractions.  We probably saw a total of five other people the whole time we strolled through the elegantly manicured landscape.  Waterfalls, streams, bridges, antique buildings adorned the paths through serene woods around a peaceful lake.  I wish I could find better words to explain my impression of the gardens I’ve visited so far.  Even the photos can do no justice to the tranquility and magic that one can find in a Japanese pleasure garden.

I haven’t had the opportunity to see if there are any others in the other cities of Japan, but I have high hopes for what Kyoto may have in store for me.  Still, I feel confident saying one of my biggest recommendations to every traveler visiting Tokyo for even a few days would be to spend an afternoon relaxing and soaking up the calm found in a garden.  They are very inexpensive, and the experience will be worth every hour you spend at peace in the green respite from the commotion in Tokyo.

 

 

Mihye and I wrapped up the day with a long dinner at the Japanese-Italian fusion restaurant, Niz.  It is definitely my favorite restaurant in Tokyo.  If you are here, make sure to stop in to experience the quality of their food and atmosphere!  [1-19-4 B1 Minami-Ikebukuro, Toshima-ku, Tokyo 171-0022.  tel:03-3982-5017.  Take the Ikebukuro East exit; turn right, and it is only a few blocks down on the left hand side…. Happy hour ½ off all drinks from 5-7]

 

.

 

 



Tags: , , , , , ,

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *