BootsnAll Travel Network



Pangainoon Uechiryu Karate and the Apartment

Monday, Osaka was spared another downpour but had to endure an incredibly hot and humid day.  Unfortunately, it was a day filled with a good deal of strenuous activity.  Around 10am, I checked out of the hotel, strapped on my full travel gear and biked to a friend’s house to drop it off for the day.  I then took the ride across town to meet Hugh at the Pangainoon Uechiryu Karate-Do dojo.  

I got a good stretch, workout and basic instruction in this rare martial art form.  My friend’s Hugh and Richard are the only two foreigners fortunate to receive training.  After the lesson, I was commissioned to photograph a children’s karate class that afternoon.  I got a few great photos of kids as young as four learning the basics. 

All of my photos from the children’s karate class

At the dojo, I did have one battle that is worth mentioning:  The dreaded squat toilet!  The first one I found was in a room too small for me to fit in a crouched position.  The next turned out to be a fairly easy, and just as I got comfortable somebody flicked off the lights.  I still made out alright, and for now the fear is shaken… until I end up in some slightly less accommodating situations.  The score now stands: Adam=1, Squat=0! 

Around 5pm I sought respite from the constant activity and excessive humidity.  I happened upon a Gran Cyber Café Bagus!  Perfect: air conditioning, a recliner, hooked-up computer, free cappuccino and all-you-can-eat ice cream.  It cost me less than ten bucks for three hours.

In the evening I met up with Ai.  She took me to her house and introduced me to her parents before I could take up residency in their guesthouse.  Afterwards, we headed down the street, into the garage of an office building, and up to the top floor.  Behind the final door is my accommodation for the next two weeks.  I wasn’t expecting anything much for the free price tag, but I was absolutely blown away when I saw the place!

 

The first thing I noticed was the samurai armor and sword in the entryway.  Further inside I found a large ten tatami-mat living room, full kitchen, bath overlooking the rooftop garden, laundry and even a high-grade Japanese toilet!    I can’t believe it!  It is by far the nicest place I’ve stayed, and it costs me nothing!  Unbelievable!  This city and the friendly people that occupy it never cease to amaze me!

All photos from the apartment

.



Tags: , , , , , ,

2 responses to “Pangainoon Uechiryu Karate and the Apartment”

  1. Ai Endo says:

    Hi Adam.How are you?rI just saw your photos.I’m very happy to be part of your memory in Japan.Talk to you soon.Enjoy Travelling.Ai Endo & Hugh

  2. Ty says:

    Hi there.

    Bumped into your Pangainoon Uechiryu post and was curious where you saw it. The one I heard of is close to where I live in Osaka. Was the one you visited in Amemura?do you remember which building it was beside?

    Thanks

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *