BootsnAll Travel Network



Osaka Life

On Friday, I took the day to explore the city using my new found bicycle freedom. I pretty much headed north, with no real destination in mind. I made a few stops to browse through stores along the way, but didn’t find anything worth mentioning. About an hour into my ride I came a cross a recording/practice studio. It only cost ¥700 to play drums for an hour so I popped in to get my chops up to speed.  

 

 

After the hour was up, I was back on the bike exploring the city. I was only riding for a few more minutes before I came across Osaka-Jo Park. It was after 5pm, so the castle was closed, but I was able to spend a few hours wandering the surrounding area.  On my way through I found the Shudokan, and watched students practicing judo and kendo.

 

 

I took a few photos, jammed with a drum circle, and then made my way pack to Tennoji. That night I was invited by Hugh’s apartment for dinner with his roommate and a few of their friends. Very cool people, who I am glad to have met. We spent the night drinking, dining, and conversing for hours.

 

 

The next day I took another ride around town. This time I stumbled across the Shintennoji and Isshijii Temples; nothing too exciting to talk about. They both have a unique history, but all of these historical religious buildings are starting to blend together for me. So, I set off in search of more interesting sights.

 

 

I found the Tsutenkaku Tower. It resembles the Eiffel Tower (3rd I’ve seen so far in Japan). I thought it might be worth a trip to the top, but changed my mind after finding it was ¥600.

Eh… tourist stuff. I could probably pass the time during the day anywhere else, but in Osaka the city really seems to excel at night. That is when it truly comes to life. I’ve learned my lesson and have since switched to a night schedule. I haven’t woken up before noon since. It has been raining every single day, and everything fun has taken place inside a bar or live house.

 

 

There isn’t anything specific to write about, but I’ve been meeting people from all over the world (especially Australians here in Osaka). It’s been about a week and I’ve already played drums live on two occasions. I have band practice later this week, and a show on Saturday.

For the last couple months I’ve been considering it a possibility to try living in Japan for a bit of my life. It is way too comfortable here, and music career potential is overflowing. I even found an apartment I could rent for about $300 including all utilities! Alas, that cursed visa date is getting near, but at least I know where to start when I return.

There are still a few places to see on my way to Korea. So truly living in Japan will be another adventure, for another day. I’ll probably stay here for another week or two, but I’ve still got that infernal travel bug to cure.

 

 

.



Tags: , , , , , , ,

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *