BootsnAll Travel Network



Addicted?

Osaka… this is already a special place in the world for me. I’ve been playing music at live houses and bars every other night. When I’m not behind a drum kit, a large portion of my time has been spent drinking mass quantities of shochu and eating delicious meals with my friends. Everybody is friendly here; there is a sizable Aussie expat crowd and the local Japanese are unlike the majority of Tokyo-ites (whos friendly outlook is cold in comparison to Kansai).

SpeakerListen to a 40-min improv set at Ground Zero Speaker

Unfortunately, I am here during the rainy month. Nearly every day has been cloudy, so my daytime explorations have been limited. The wild nightlife more than makes up for it, but also leaves me too busy and uninspired to elaborate with much detail.

One of the sunny days I took a forty-five minute bike ride to the bay area only to find that I couldn’t get the bike across the final bridge. I ended up spending about the same amount of money on a subway trip across the water as it would have cost me from home. At least I got some exercise and a good exploration of the western city. After finally arriving, I kept my self entertained strolling around the waterside and flying up the fifty-five floors of the WTC Cosmo Tower to take a few photos of Osaka at night, including a sick 360 degree shot at sunset:

360 degree panorama of Osaka at Sunset from the WTC Tower
 

The following day was also blessed with great weather, so I took a ride to Osaka-Jo to see the castle from inside out. It turned out to be a fairly modern museum. Amongst the collection of old weapons and armor was a series of twenty holographic video dioramas depicting the life of the original warlord owner of the castle. At the top I even managed to take a 360 degree panorama of Osaka city.

360 degree panorama of Osaka from Osaka-Jo

Aside from that there is not much I can describe about my experiences here. There has been little time for photos or exploration. I’ve been sucked into this city, the life and friendships I’ve found here. Even after twelve days I feel very much like a resident. The bike allows be freedom to easily navigate the city for free. I found a cheap print shop and made about thirty prints of my favorite photos from the last few months of travel. In the first twenty-four hours I sold five. There is a definite potential to earn some ¥ if I refine my husking skills. On top of all that, my friend’s girlfriend’s father owns a corporate guesthouse which is currently not in use. I was invited to use it free of charge for the rest of my stay in Osaka.

Life is good here… too good. It’s scaring me that I need to uproot so soon. But if I don’t get down to Fukouka and on a ferry to Korea before my visa expires, I won’t be allowed back into the country. Ahh… why has every recent entry ended like this? I think I’m addicted to Japan!

click here for all of my photos from the Osaka Bay area

see all of my photos from Osaka-Jo Castle



 

.



Tags: , , , , , , , ,

One response to “Addicted?”

  1. Mihye says:

    Yes, what truly matters for a happy life will be who you are with rather than where you are and even than what you are doing, although it can’t be the only thing that matters in life.

  2. chris lewis says:

    Ah!! Osaka.. I have to admit I admire your ability to get out of there! Took me fucking ages and a big portion of my visa!

    Okinawa is wicked. Very hot. I can also confirm that awamuri is nicer than shochu.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *