BootsnAll Travel Network



“Sleeper”

All sleeper tickets to Mumbai are booked for a solid week, but I must escape the magnetism of Gokarna before I become a permanent fixture in the wave kissed sand.  The beach of Arambol in Goa sounds like a nice stop on the way north, and it happens to be home to a reputable Tabla instructor, so I board a second class train headed there.  Even if people are packed in so tight that I’m left hanging out the door, it’s only a two hour trip so it shouldn’t be that bad.   

While boarding the train, I’m surprised to find the train appropriately populated; the proportion of people to places is perfect, save one unoccupied solitary seat by the window.  It calls to me, and I quickly settle into it before anybody else claims it.  The last two weeks of beach dwelling synonymous with eternal sunbathing has left my mind relaxed and my muscles loose with atrophy.  My head slowly drips to the side and my eyelids fall shut.

I wake up with a yawn and notice that everybody in view had also been lulled to sleep.  I recall a story I heard recently about a north-Indian train being gassed and then robbed, and a cold feeling creeps up my neck.  But at the turn of my head, the icy crawl subsides when I find a few people still awake.

What time is it?  2am?!?  Shit, I missed the stop in Goa four hours ago!  Where does the train go?  Mumbai?  What time does it get in?  7am?  Well… that’s not so bad.  OK, I guess I’m putting off Goa for another time.

I do a visual inspection of the cabin and find an empty luggage rack across from me, so I climb up and make my self at home.  It’s not exactly sleeper class with the broken wood slats supporting my slumber, but I do manage to close my eyes for a few hours.  I wouldn’t opt for the twelve hour overnighter in second class again, but I did get the six-hundred kilometers for only fifty rupees and a stiff back.



Tags: , , , , , , ,

3 responses to ““Sleeper””

  1. Ivan Pinto says:

    Hey I live in mumbai….. an avid backpacker myself I really understand each and every of your posts and the emotions and feelings behind them… I am now goin on a 4 day sojourn to Gokarna and your post about this place is awesome… Thank you

  2. Sharon Shane says:

    Hi Adam—It’s March 6th in the States…so HAPPY BIRTHDAY, son. I sent you an e-mail, too, but more Birthday Wishes here for you, too.

    🙂

    Mom

  3. Akshay says:

    Next destination has to be Gokarna now !!

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *