BootsnAll Travel Network



Puerto Viejo – Day 8

After resting and showering, all four of us decided to take a taxi into town and eat at El Loco Natural. They have live music on Thursday nights (starting at 8pm) and we heard only good things about the food. When we arrived, there was a very short wait (about 5 minutes) and the place was packed. I highly recommend getting there a little early.

El Loco Natural offers traditional Caribbean food as well as some Thai/Indian dishes…curries, coconut milk, etc. James had the Jerk Chicken and I had a green curry chicken. Both were great, but the green curry chicken was perfect; sweet and hot…my favorite! 🙂 Prices are reasonable, and the meal comes with a salad and rice. Be prepared for a longer-than-usual wait for the food. They are very very busy, and do not have a commercial kitchen going on in the back with 5 cooks. The food is definitely worth the wait, and the great live music definitely helps.

Andrea and me at El Loco Natural:
El Loco Natural

As we left the restaurant, we heard more live music nearby, so we stopped to check it out. It was another awesome reggae band. We sat and watched them until they were finished (unfortunately, not long enough!) and had a couple of Imperials. It was so fun to people-watch…the tourists and the locals all chilling out, some eating together, some drinking together. We finally realized that the place we were at was the same place we had the rude NYC magician at our table; we were just in a different section and they had opened the windows all the way around. It totally transformed the place! After about an hour, we then decided to call it a night. It was Andrea and Jay’s last night in Puerto Viejo, and they had to pack since Roberto was taking all of us to the waterfall on Friday.

We needed to find a taxi, so we went to Cafe Viejo to see if they would call one for us. The waitress we had before was there, and she tried for a while, but could not get a taxi driver on the phone. She told us to try Stanford’s, so we walked there. There weren’t any taxis, so we walked back to Hot Rocks, where we asked the German waitress if she could call her friend for us again. She tried, but he did not answer…and she pointed us BACK to Standford’s. At this point, we think that the local joke is to point tourists to Stanford’s because there never seemed to be ANY TAXIS THERE. However, this time – our third try – , there was actually one waiting there. I was SO NERVOUS that we were going to have to walk back and I did not want to do that!!!

We went back to Banana Azul and went right to bed. It was a pretty long day and we did quite a bit. I still had the sounds of reggae in my head as I tried to sleep.



Tags: ,

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *