BootsnAll Travel Network



Those boring logistics

It’s good to travel about freely, drifting on the recommendations of fellow travelers, the vast networked encyclopedia of the world. But it’s also good to have a plan. My plan stops in August, and I’m starting to realize that I’m in the best position right now to pound out some details about what new adventure September will bring.There are just too many variables right now. I’m lucky in the sense that I will spend the next five months traveling and rafting around the world. I’ve got amazing friends all over, so I can play the global game of connect the dots with ease. As soon as this TEFL class finishes I’ll spend three weeks getting back to Japan overland through Korea, meeting up with friends in Shanghai and Seoul. Then back to Hitachi to see friends, students, and my wonderful girlfriend. Then it will probably be a couple of months in Japan, and maybe a month in Colorado to see my long lost rafting friends before returning home to Oregon for a long awaited quality spell with family and friends. I’m telling you. If you want to travel indefinitely, the rafting and teaching gig is hard to beat. There’s always a job waiting for you somewhere.

And here I sit once again staring at September on the calendar; where the picture gets hazy. Here I have to start asking myself difficult questions like how do I see my girlfriend, will I see my girlfriend, what country will I live in, and what is my best teaching career move? Option one is to pursue a great university teaching position in China or Korea for the year starting in September. That would be good for my resume and wallet. Or I could work a three month contract in Japan for a crappy company and see what happens with my girlfriend. If I’m in Japan in December when she quits her job we can go to New Zealand together. This is the option that’s good for the heart.

So I’ve decided that I will only take amazing jobs in China that I don’t have to try very hard to get. And if I don’t get one, I’m going back to Japan. Now only time will tell where the winds blow me.



Tags:

0 responses to “Those boring logistics”

  1. Dan says:

    Hey Danny,

    I loved reading your blog. Very jealous of your adventures. Right now I’m working for an Architectural firm in Manhattan (office jobs suck)

    How old is too old to try and teach in Asia?

    Best,

    Dan

  2. rafting oregon

    I am all for it. I wonder how many folks actually use these. I built a small store that grew into over 100 thousands items. Its crazy how fast it grows!. Anyway. I agree!

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *