BootsnAll Travel Network



The Wall Less Traveled

The restored sections of the Great Wall around Beijing have become a tourist haven with a Disneylike feel. Cable cars, toboggan slides, and hockers galore don’t add up to a very personal wall experience. If you’re looking for that perfect shot of a lonely wall snaking off into the distance, good luck. You won’t find this shot at the main wall area of Badaling or any of the other main restored sections.

The Leo Hostel where I’m staying offers an amazing alternative to the crowds. Their secret wall tour is a bargain at 180RMB ($22) and includes transportation and a delicious Chinese lunch in a tiny rural village just below the mountain on which the wall is perched.

The section here is unrestored and in various stages of disrepair. We followed our old guide, “Mr. Smiley”, for about 20 minutes up a small trail to the wall.

The 12 of us then had the late morning and early afternoon to stroll along the crumbling remains of this amazing section.
The thought I couldn’t shake as I walked along was the persistence of China’s enemies. Those Mongols and Manchurians must have been some badass dudes because the mountains to the north of the wall look like a daunting enough deterrence for invading armies in their own right. It’s just an awful lot of trouble to go through, but I’m neither emperor nor general.
We walked from ridge to ridge for 3-4 kilometers between tower ruins until we caught the trail down for lunch. This was the wall experience I had hoped to find. It felt like it was mine.



Tags: ,

4 responses to “The Wall Less Traveled”

  1. Rcon says:

    Very nice pictures. My family and I visited the Great Wall I think two years ago and we also had a great time with the entire tour!

  2. […] The best thing about this place is the Secret Wall Tour offered for 180RMB. This is a rare Wild Wall tour that shouldn’t be missed. The price includes transportation and a nice Chinese lunch in a tiny village. This is a great value. If you try to see unrestored sections on your own you’ll end up paying the same anyway. This is the tour for people who hate tours! You can book this trip even if you’re not staying here. Read more here.   […]

  3. Oowada Shigeru says:

    I have been to Greatwall.
    But that was restored sections.

    If I have next chance, I want go here.

    Thanks nice infomation !

  4. Wesley Irwin says:

    Awesome pics, Dan!
    Can’t wait to see it myself. I think most of my trip is already planned by my instructor, but if you’ve got any other advice for Beijing, Shanghai, or anywhere else in China, please let me know.
    Rock on!

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *