BootsnAll Travel Network



The Gardens of Suzhou

Suzhou is only one hour west of Shanghai, and just happens to be the sister city of Portland, my home town.  Wandering through the famous gardens of Suzhou and soaking up the zen makes a nice day trip from Shanghai, or a pit-stop for onward travel as I chose to do. 

There are gardens scattered all over this huge city of six million, the two most famous being the Garden of the Humble Administrator and the Garden of the Master-of-Nets.

I teamed up with a German gardener and she had the good sense to factor in Chinese eating habits which put lunch at 11:00.  We decided to tackle the smaller Canglang Pavilion first while quiet and see the more popular attractions during lunch and early afternoon.  

There’s no sense really in describing the gardens.  You just have to go yourself and see what you think.  I’ve become a huge fan of these beautiful settings among the expertly arranged buildings, ponds, bridges, and rocks.  I like to wander, draw, write and nap in these peaceful places.  But most of all I love the names.  The Garden of the Humble Administrator brings to mind a fuedal cheif toiling his later years away creating a quaint garden.  This turns out to be one of the largest Chinese gardens here, with highlights including:

The House of Sweet-smelling rice (it smelled old)
The Keep and Listen Pavilion (there was a tour group with a megaphone)
The “with whom shall I sit” Pavilion (I sat alone)
The Hall of Distant Fragrance (also smelled old)
The Listening to the Sound of Rain Pavilion (bluebird day)

Apparently Chinese is a language that leaves more to the imagination.  Each character conveys an image not easily translated into English.  The result are these wonderful descriptions.  The one that took the cake was a pavilion beside the pond described by one poet as the perfect place for “washing your tassle.”  He must have had one of those old bowl cuts with the sweet pony tail.



Tags: , ,

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *