BootsnAll Travel Network



Golden Sand

The upper section of the Yangzi River in northern Yunnan province is called Golden Sand River. She runs between her sisters the Salween and Mekong Rivers. Golden Sand wanted to marry the eastern sea. A dream said it. So she made a sudden turn east to meet the sea, but her jealous brothers Haba and Jade Dragon Snow Mountains blocked her way. They guarded her passage day and night, until one night Haba fell asleep on duty, allowing Golden Sand to slip past leaving the deep Tiger Leaping Gorge behind her speedy escape. When Jade Dragon awoke to find her gone, he was so angry with his brother that he took his sword and cut off the top of Haba’s head, leaving his peak shorter and flatter still today.The gorge left by Golden Sand can hardly be described. It sits between these towering giants and it seems impossible that such a huge river could find its way through. Between the banks of the river to the mountain peaks is a 10,000(3,300m) vertical feet wall of jagged rock. These peaks reach heights past 16,000 feet(5,600m). It is the world’s deepest gorge. It’s hard to keep your mouth closed.



Tags: ,

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *