BootsnAll Travel Network



Don’t say the D-word

Yes, English is difficult. Any language is difficult. Most rewarding undertakings in life are difficult. We adults realize this, but must keep this fact secret from the kids.

There is a second grade teacher at one of the larger elementary schools where I teach who is passing on her learning insecurities to her impressionable young students, and I’m trying to stop it. She is a nice enough woman and gives me snacks everyday after class since we’re desk neighbors in the teacher’s room. But she’s a baby talker, taking this annoying habit to such new heights that I can hardly stand talking to her. The baby voice is a phenomenon in Japan that continues to bother me. The diminutive woman is still preferred, I guess. You’ll hear it when you get change at the grocery store, in chain restaurants, or in some elementary school classrooms as I’ve discovered.

This particular teacher talks to 8 year olds like they’re 2, and me like I’m 8. I’ve severed all pleasantries with her because of this but every day the candy shows up on my desk like clockwork. I eat it and say arigato. In the morning she sighs and mentions something about “ew, so tired.” I nod and continue preparing for her class later in the day. By the time her class arrives I’ve told myself to ignore her comments, but I find it hard. With second graders there is only so much that can be introduced to them before they tune out or retention becomes impossible. She waits for me to approach this line; I can see she wants to say it.

“It’s my grandfather,” I belt out. “He is smart.” The students barely finish repeating the sentence before she chimes in with her high pitched sigh:

“Eeew, Engrish so DIFF-culto!” Oh yes, now they understand. Well done.

I say something condescending to her, right into her eyes, like “they’re smart” or “they can handle it.” She’s not listening. English is too difficult to even begin listening for this type.

Encouraging this type of mentality infuriates me. Yes, Japanese face some major hurdles when tackling most Western languages, especially regarding grammar and pronunciation. But to explain these challenges to 8 year olds in inexcusable. To these kids English is just something else to learn, another batch of fun new facts to soak up in their spongy little brains. But when teachers reinforce negative attitudes about language they start to believe what they’re being told. What the teacher says must be true, right?

The most important thing for teachers to teach is the attitude that everything is learnable, to encourage curiosity, and model these at all times. This is a difficult step for Japan.



Tags: ,

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *