BootsnAll Travel Network



Best of Seoul, and another spot to miss

The Korean War Memorial is a must. You can wander about the huge military junkyard and larger than life statues that surrounds the fortress-like building. I felt like a kid sitting in the cockpit of an old B-52 bomber, staring down the cross-hairs of anti-tank artillery, and climbing on old bombs and submarines. Okay, okay, war is awful and all that, but this place is like a life-sized toy box from your average male’s childhood, although the Millennium Falcon was conspicuously absent. Unfortunately the inside of the Memorial was closed, marking my biggest disappointment of my Seoul trip. I was looking forward to learning about the Forgotten War that claimed the lives of 34,000 U.S. soldiers and 2.5 million Koreans. Looks like I’ll have to head to the library instead.

While the Memorial was recommended and lived up to the hype, the club district of Itaewon was a bore. It’s right next to the U.S. military base, which would have been enough to let me know to skip it had I known. It’s a foreigner friendly line of boutiques and shops by day, and apparently some lively clubs at night. It reminded me of Roppongi and we left.



Tags: ,

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *