BootsnAll Travel Network



Beijing Olympics

Since every square inch of Beijing is a construction zone anyway, I decided to head straight to where the action is, north to the Olympic Park.  Like many places ouside the second ring road, the site is a challenge to get to.  Beijing’s bus system is great, but it’s always a challenge figuring out where your particular bus stops.  The city currently has eight new subway or light rail lines under construction, four of which are included under the generic label “suburb line.”  These new lines with fill out the rather lean 3 line rail map that currently exists.  Lines 1 & 2 feel like soviet relics; slow, boxy trains sure to feel out of place among the modern new trains and stations currently being built.

The Olympic Park subway line is still a year from completion so I caught the 409 bus to check the progress.  The main reason to make the trip north is for the Olympic Stadeum, or the “Bird’s Nest” as it’s been nicknamed.  Still a year from completion, its exterior random weave of steel is already quite a sight.

Next door is the Water Cube, a giant square seemingly constructed of bubble wrap



Tags: ,

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *