BootsnAll Travel Network



798 Art Factory, Beijing

 

To the northeast of central Beijing just beyond the fourth ring road something special is happening; an artistic utopia has emerged, a creative factory.  It’s called DaShanZi (大山子)in Chinese and the 798 factory in English, but these are mearly old names on the map.  The area was a factory district built by the soviets in the ’50s and pumped out electronics until the late ’80s.  In 2002 artists began moving into these hollow east-German designed relics, a beautiful blend of pipes, brick, and light.  The area is huge with established and future galleries, shops, bookstores, and cafes nestled between quaint tree-lined lanes.

798 slideshow

 

The old Bauhaus sawtooth factories are the best, especially in the afternoon when the light casts interesting shadows on the artwork and weathered brick walls.  Like much of Beijing, 798 has a nice vibe but feels ready to explode with limitless potential.  With international organization from Europe, Japan, and China, the area is really turning heads.  It’s an art lover’s dream come true.

 

  

Directions:  Take the subway to DongZhiMen (东直门) station and catch the 401 bus across from the long distance bus station.  Get off at DaShanZi (大山子)and look for the old factory towers across the street.  It’s set back from the street.



Tags: ,

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *