BootsnAll Travel Network



Africa and Patience

Let us tell you about how beautiful the sunrise was over the African continent this morning. Let us tell you how great of a flight we had and how the morning air of Namibia smelled as we stepped off the plane. It would all be a fiction, because we are not there yet.

Where we are still, is in Frankfurt due to a cancelled flight because of, “technical difficulties”.

Our last night and morning in Geneva went great. We finished up a few items prior to our departure and made sure all of our laundry was clean. Darcy has a washer and dryer and we don’t how long it will be until we see that setup again!

Our flight from Geneva to Frankfurt went smoothly. Originally, we planned on dropping our bags at the airport and heading into Frankfurt for the day, as we had a twelve-hour layover. After a family discussion, we decided we would all prefer to have a quiet day. We found a tucked away corner of the terminal, with a power cord for the computer, and set up camp. It was perfect, or as much so as possible. Debbie slept on the marble floor, Connor read Harry Potter and Alexa listened to the Lion, Witch and the Wardrobe on audio. I spent the entire day working on the web site.

Just inside of three hours until departure we checked e-mail to verify how our hostel was going to pick us up at the Zambian border. They are to supply free visas and transport. Instead, they informed us that they had no idea who we were and had no reservation for us. Furthermore, they had no room for us either. OK. Armed with this good news, we headed down to the check-in counter figuring we would get an early start on that. Instead we were greeted with a two hour-long check in line. Wow, how did that happen?

Determined to stay calm, and losing ground rapidly, Debbie and the kids went in search of a snack and I stood in line. I was rewarded with a beer and a pretzel for my line watching skills once they returned. We patiently waited until our turn at the counter. Once we reached it, we were informed that the plane was cancelled and that they would be putting us up at the airport Sheraton. Perhaps we should have clued in earlier as many people in front of us in line were pulling clothes out of their checked bags. The advantages of not knowing enough GermanJ

Given all of this Air Namibia did take care of us. A buffet was waiting when we got to the hotel and we were greeted with a cold beer and drinks. Two nice rooms were provided as well. Since we had to check our bags, all we had was toiletries and the clothes on our backs. No problem. This is the exact reason we spent so much money on hi-tech clothing. So after showers, we washed all of our clothes in the sink. Wrung out and hung to dry, our clothes were clean and ready for us when we got up this morning.

Breakfast provided was fine and by 0830 we are once again terminal rats.

We are now sitting at the gate designated for departure this morning, but no sign of the plane or anyone from the airline yet. We would like to tell you how this ended, but the tale is still writing itself, we are merely reporting on the situation, not writing a comedy.

These things will happen to us often this year. Especially when in the third world, flying on airlines that only own three airplanes. We haven’t let this one beat us, nor will the next one. It will be one of the many lessons we all learn this year, be flexible. A structured life may be good for most, but we would rather be sitting here not quite sure which continent we will be on in the next twenty-four hours. To each his own.



Tags: , , , ,

2 responses to “Africa and Patience”

  1. Grammy says:

    Ideals are like stars; you will not succeed in touching them with your hands. But like the seafaing man on the desert of waters, you choose them as your guides, and following them you will reach your destiny. I think this suits you in your world wind to Africa and your new learned flexible life. God Bless, Love You All, Grammy

  2. Gary and Carmen Miller says:

    I tried to email you via Debbie’s email but it was returned. Anyway we wanted to tell you how nice it was meeting you on the way out of TPA just as you were beginning your adventure. Again we’re Gary and Carmen who were on the way to a wedding in West Virginia. I hope you capture many interesting photographs of people and places. We’re envious of your choice to take the opportunity to see the wonderful world around us. In my opinion, travel is the best dollar for dollar investment you can make.

    Have fun and be safe. It looks like you all are meeting the unexpected with patience and understanding. Sincerely, Gary & Carmen

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *