BootsnAll Travel Network



The FIVE-Minute Update

At the library, 5 minutes left on my time….quick story, my ride is all over. Went to the Doc on Monday and although I didn’t have walking pneumonia like I thought I did, my relentless cough and how crappy I felt resulted in my disqualification from the race to the Mexican border. No, I wasn’t pulling a Landis doping thing!

It was a no-brainer. After my lousy suicide ride last week on Tuesday, and after some bicyclist was killed a few days later on the road to Mexico, I figure that this is good enough for me! I’m just glad I wasn’t riding when Mel Gibson was trying to drive the Malibu Highway 1, since that is not the type of 15 minutes of fame I was looking for (but I must say those lost Bigfoot pictures would have yielded me more than 15!)

So big deal I didn’t make it to Mexico, I was also influenced by other bicyclists that have done that last 100 mile portion and they say it is nothing special. Especially since you can’t ride through the Camp Pendleton Marine base anymore, not after 9/11. So apparently you are diverted onto I-5, and that’s not exactly my idea of a relaxing bike ride. But I did just hear back from Kyle, the guy from Washington, and he made it to the border last Friday. I’ll get the story straight from him to hear how the last 100 miles went for him.

At any rate, the saying goes that it’s about the journey, and not the destination, right? Okay, I can buy that and I can live with my decision. I’m feeling better now and will be returning back to Portland very soon. Good ol’ mom and dad weren’t too happy about my state of health, so they have driven down from Portland to bring me home. I suppose it’s also a good excuse to visit with all the relatives down here, and I have many! So yeah, that’s it for me. I’m feeling good and I am very happy that I did this ride, it did go by very fast and my memories of my days on the road have merged into many, many episodes. The Pacific coast is simply incredible, and I thank the bicycle Gods and Goddesses that my brakes, tires, and 19-year old bicycle held up to the 1,752 miles I put on it. So this portion of my adventure is come to a close, but not my blog.

Please check back here on Friday when I will have uploaded photos from my last 2 weeks on the road, a photo journal from San Francisco down to my (unbeknownst to me) final stop in Redondo Beach. If I were to do another bicycling trip, I think I’d have to pick Ireland for my next go around….



Tags:

-3 responses to “The FIVE-Minute Update”

  1. Dan says:

    Edwin, congratulations on making the trip. I agree that the last 130 miles from LA to the border are no big deal. Except I do like Encinitas. I wish I had made time to do that trip with you. Not that you invited me. Or maybe you did, and I forgot. Anyway, congrats.

    I’m thinking of doing a bike tour of Italy one of these days. Either that or Mexico. Let me know if either of these is of interest to you.

    Dan

  2. Sarah says:

    Hey Edwin! Great pictures on your photo journal! I’m back from Santa Fe and will be sending you pictures soon from that trip. We had a great time! I think you doing this long bike trip is very brave, but it’s also smart to realize when you’ve reached your limit. I think it’s good that your parents are driving you back. Hope you have a great visit with all you family and a safe drive back. Talk to you soon! 🙂

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *