BootsnAll Travel Network



The Photo Post: San Francisco to Redondo Beach

And here are a few of the many photos I took on my final 2 weeks of riding.  There is a void between Brookings and San Francisco, when my camera broke, but fortunately Ezra was able to work some magic in San Francisco to get it back in good order.

This weekend will bring me back to Portland, just in time for a friend’s wedding and a big family camping reunion.  My next scheduled blog post will be for next Wednesday, when I’ll have all the final irrelevant stats, figures and thoughts regarding my bicycle trip.  Again, the ride was awesome and hopefully this pics will give you a little glimpse of what I saw and experienced.  So check back next Wednesday for more, and to be amazed, stupified and mesmerized by my announcement of my next big adventure!  Peace out!

 

IMG_8727.JPG

Bicycles in tow, Ezra, Dan and I wait for the BART after an intense afternoon session of basketball.
IMG_8732.JPG

The tip from the guy on the motorcycle brought me to this mountain biking trail….
IMG_8734.JPG

…and these killer views of the beach town of Pacifica…
IMG_8743.JPG

…and views further south.
IMG_8751.JPG

Looking north towards Highway 1 and the signs give you all you need to know
IMG_8764.JPG

Point Pigeon Lighthouse (I think), south of Half Moon Bay State Park.
IMG_8799.JPG

Santa Cruz and the Boardwalk…took a spin on the Tilt-A-Whirl, a swing on the SeaDragon, an escape in the Haunted Mine, and two thrilling rides on the wooden rollercoaster the Giant Dipper.
IMG_8790.JPG

No room for these treats (they were also selling deep fried Oreo cookies….deep fried? Yep)
IMG_8821.JPG

The 45 mile ride from Santa Cruz to Monterey brought me flying by numerous fields of strawberries, where the sweet berry smell permeated all my senses.
IMG_8823.JPG

Directional sign at the end of another strawberry field.
IMG_8841.JPG

Early morning riding from Monterey to Big Sur. This is where I had my breakfast.
IMG_8844.JPG

And continued through the thick fog, praying that the cars behind me would see my little flashing red light in time to NOT hit or swipe me.
IMG_8860.JPG

But ah, once the sun burns off that fog, just beautiful.
IMG_8873.JPG

I took 2 hours out of my bike ride to hike to a viewpoint and to these waterfalls.
IMG_8894.JPG

Big Sur
IMG_8898.JPG

 And more views from the road.
IMG_8911.JPG

My favorite pic.
IMG_8922.JPG

A ride break after cycling 2 big hills, overlooking the Pacific coastline.
IMG_8928.JPG

My bicycling campsite at Kirk Creek Campground, home to the Rabid, Demented Raccoons of a New Genetic Breed.
IMG_8930.JPG

Sharing the evening with fellow bicyclists from California.
IMG_8934.JPG

Click on the picture to make it bigger and you can see the road that I had just cycled.
IMG_8946.JPG

Pumped up as I have conquered the last of the big hills on the Big Sur coastline.
IMG_8958.JPG

Cambria…pancake feed?? I’m soo there!
IMG_8953.JPG

I ate a total of 7 pancakes.
IMG_8964.JPG

Morro Bay, CA.
IMG_8966.JPG

Public Service announcement, so take it seriously!!
IMG_8992.JPG

Traffic control during the bicycle portion of the San Luis Obispo Triathlon. My 6 hours of volunteering netted me a free t-shirt, a free bag lunch, and a darker tone because I failed to put on my sunblock.
IMG_9006.JPG

Another public service announcement.
IMG_9011.JPG

Danish town Solvang, CA. It was the highlight on the freakin’ Alternate Route that totally kicked my ass.
IMG_9015.JPG

11:30am. About to blackout from heat exhaustion or heat stroke because the sun is sooo damned HOT, I have no shade, no breeze, and I’m going up a 4-mile climb to 2600 feet. Luckily I found this little viewpoint pull out where there was shade that I could recoup for almost 45 minutes before I continued on.
IMG_9022.JPG

Looking back on that dang Alternate Route that kicked my ass. I have maybe 1 mile more to go before I reach the summit and a nice 7-mile descent.
IMG_9028.JPG

Santa Barbara bicycle path.
IMG_9073.JPG

Los Angeles city limits and my last day of riding. And after the 3 close calls of near-miss accidents between my bicycle and various automobiles, it truly would have been my LAST day of riding.
IMG_9074.JPG

Hey LOOK! That’s my riding shoulder from Malibu to Santa Monica. On Highway 1. With cars parked on my right, and zooming highway traffic on my left trying to get around me. This is the section I will NEVER EVER FREAKING EVER ride in my entire life again.
IMG_9087.JPG

The street scene at Venice Beach, CA.
IMG_9091.JPG

Los Angeles bicycle-only path.
IMG_9097.JPG

Posing on the sandy bike path near Hermosa Beach, CA.
IMG_9101.JPG

Riding the Metro Link rail from Redondo Beach to Norwalk.
IMG_9102.JPG

And after finding my Aunt’s home around 8:30, I finally pig out on some home cooking!
IMG_9144.JPG

My rest day at the video arcade with my bro.



Tags:

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *